[Peace] FWD: RE: NY times letters

vaa vaa at students.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 25 11:01:46 CDT 2002

What follows is a letter-to-the-editor written by David Green that appeared in
last week's NY Times.

July 15
The New York Times
To the Editor:

	David Grossman's opposition to a wall of separation is correct
(Op-Ed, July 12), but I disagree that ``there may well come a time'' when
``Israel will conclude that there really is no chance of peace,'' and then
the wall can then be built.

      Israel would have a ``chance of peace'' and could save itself the
trouble and expense of building a wall if it recognized the Palestinians'
justified demand for full withdrawal from the
occupied territories and a viable state in that 22 percent of land that
remains of pre-1948  Palestine.

      This was the hope of Oslo. This hope was immediately mocked by the
Israeli policies of limited withdrawal, closure,continued settlement  and
tightly controlled ``autonomy.'' Mr. Grossman
implies that the Palestinians have not offered Israel a quid pro quo, when
in fact Israel has yet to offer the Palestinians a life.

  DAVID GREEN
  Champaign, Ill., July 12, 2002