[Peace] GlobalJAS on the Access Grid

John Martirano martiran at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 11 12:02:18 CDT 2002

Are there people interested in attending an international video
conferencing session in conjunction with the Global Justice Action Summit?

This event is taking place in champaign on
Friday, 21 June, from 15:00-17:00 Mountain Daylight Time (21:00-23:00 UTC).

there is a network of high-bandwidth video collaboration centers across
the world called "Access Grid Nodes", these AGNs enable multiple sessions
all around the world to see and hear eachother as well as share other
information, websites, powerpoint, text documents...

anyway... a number of sites have instigated a session in conjunction with
the Global Justice Action Summit... this will be a first in terms of using
the AGNs for anything remotely progressive in nature... so it would be a
shame if there was not some attendance from the cu crowd...

the agenda is very simple...  (from email below...)
"My understanding is that our Paul Williamson Dean of UM College of
Technology, will be speaking on Fuel Cell Technology, then discussion will
migrate towards facilitating activism via the Access Grid."

i think the idea here is to ease into this "scarey activism" idea.
it would be great to see some from the cu crowd push the boundaries of the
discussion... also i imagine for many this session will as much be an
introduction to this mode of communication as anything...

however, i think this could be the 1st of a new avenue for AGN use...

I've been working on getting a commitment from local AGN people and i
think i have that secured which is why i now am turning to you all for some
attendance. My understanding is that this space only holds 12-20 people
comfortably.  I will be out of town from the 16th, but i can coordinate an
attendance and make introductions.

please email me if interested, martiran at ncsa.uiuc.edu
i am also on the sdas and imc lists,
i need to put the attendance together by the end of this week.
	-john

VVVVVV

Don Morton spoke: