[Peace] ANTI-"CHIEF" DAY OF ACTION

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Fri Mar 8 09:30:11 CST 2002

Please forward ...

		******** ANTI-"CHIEF" DAY OF ACTION********
			    Thursday, March 14

As you may know, the U of I Board of Trustees will be hearing comments
from "Committee of One" Roger Plummer on the possible alternatives to
the "Chief" at their meeting on Wednesday, March 13. ON THE MORNING
OF THURSDAY, MARCH 14, THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES WILL VOTE ON WHETHER TO
REMOVE "CHIEF ILLINIWEK." In response to the Board's lack of action on this
issue, the PRC is holding an Anti-"Chief" Day of Action on March 14. It is
extremely important that we continue to show the Administration our outrage and
dissatisfaction with their perpetuation of this racist stereotype.

Please join us for the Board of Trustees meeting in the Pine Lounge
of the Union
next WEDNESDAY MORNING, as well as the following events on THURSDAY,
MARCH 14:

What:  EDUCATIONAL PICKET
When:  12 Noon
Where: Union South Patio
Why:   75 years after the invention of the "Chief" and 2 years following
        the Dialogue on "Chief Illiniwek," the Board of Trustees and the
rest
        of the U of I Administration have continued to ignore the wishes
of
        native peoples and their supporters. Chancellor Nancy Cantor
        continually spouts her committment to diversity. Yet she has been
        complacent and unproductive on the "Chief" issue, which is
perhaps
        the University's biggest roadblock to true diversity and cultural
        appreciation. As we fully expect the Board of Trustees to
continue
        *their* tradition of racism, we will hold this picket in protest.
        Bring your friends to this educational picket to protest the
        "Chief" and to educate yourself and others on the issue.

What:  ALL DAY QUAD TABLE
When:  10am-3pm
Where: Union South Patio
Why:   Come out to show your support, talk with us, and order some
        Anti-"Chief" T-shirts and buttons!

What:  "IN WHOSE HONOR?" SHOWING WITH DIRECTOR AND PRODUCER JAY
ROSENSTEIN
When:  8:30 PM
Where: Allen Hall South Rec Room
Why:   "In Whose Honor? American Indian Mascots in Sports" is an award-
        winning documentary by U of I assistant Professor of Journalism
Jay
        Rosenstein. University of Illinois' "Chief Illiniwek" and the
Anti-
        "Chief" struggle is the main focus of this documentary, which is
        used as an educational resource in more than 400 colleges and
        universities nationwide and in Canada. Join us for this film and
        discussion with its creator.

For more information on the PRC, email prc at prairienet.org, visit
www.prairienet.org, or call (217) 352-8721.