[Peace] Minutes from AWARE meeting, 5/7

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 08:36:28 CDT 2002

Minutes from the AWARE "sidewalk symposium": Do we
need to assign someone to make sure we can get into
the IMC? Fortunately, it was a beautiful day to meet
outdoors.

1. We discussed the focus and purpose of AWARE.
According to current events, different problems may
gain our attention. But the focus should remain on
influencing U.S. policy, not other governments or
groups; for example, Israel or the Jewish community.

2.  Since 9/11 (according to Lois Steinberg and Howard
Zinn), even in the midst of the war in Afghanistan,
there have been three key concerns regarding U.S.
foreign policy: troops in Saudi Arabia, sanctions
against Iraq, and Palestine/Israel. How can AWARE
address these specific concerns while keeping its
focus on U.S. foreign policy?

3. News from Carl Estabrook--posted separately.

4. We will be sending speakers to a church in Decatur
for the next three Sunday mornings. Thanks to Jeff
Glassman.

5. Sandra Ahten announced the visit during the first
week of June of a member of "Jews for Justice" from
Berkeley, a group at the forefront of Jewish protest
regarding Israel/Palestine, and a leader in the
divestment movement. More details later. This will be
on the heels of the speaker from Courage to Refuse,
May 25th.

6.  Tickets available for Champaign County Health Care
Consumers annual dinner/fundraiser, May 17th.

7.  Carl suggested having an AWARE table, literature
at the weekly Farmers Market in Urbana.

8.  It was suggested that AWARE participate in the 4th
of July parade, either separately or with other
progressive groups. Jennifer Cartwright volunteered to
pay for the registration fee. Thanks! But this will
need to be organized during coming weeks.

Submitted by David Green