[Peace] New on the block: retirethechief.org

bjewett at earthlink.net bjewett at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 17:23:01 CST 2002

Greetings to those on the PEACE mailing list,

My name is Brian Jewett.  I am an academic professional at UIUC who has lived
in C-U since 1988.  I'm also a relative newcomer to your list and its many
diverse efforts.  I hope to make my own contribution, at least in one area.

I have started an anti-Chief web site, "retirethechief.org", partly in
response to the billboards which encourage residents to "Honor the Chief."  I
agree with Jay Rosenstein's statement that anti-Chief voices (including, but
not limited to Native Americans) are heard too rarely and generally through
the filter and time limits of the media.  I would like to help change that.  I
am not connected directly with the PRC group, but look forward to talking with
and learning from them regarding their long public effort against the Chief.

I was unfortunately out of town for last night's anti-Chief meeting.  I hope
it was productive.  I am disappointed that the Chief issue is (officially) not
on the BOT agenda.

My web site is intended as a long-term presence.  I have already reserved &
prepaid the domain name for two years, and the site hosting for one year.  It
is non-profit.  It is designed to have interviews & essays by anti-Chief
folks, but also have a (letters) space for everyone.  I fear the U.I. Dialogue
/ Intake Sessions got people to stop talking, rather than the other way
around.

Because I am particularly interested in the perception of the University
outside of C-U, and the state, I am seeking opinions & essays from those away
from, as well as within, our town.  I fear many of the local C-U voices have
been heard enough times that they have become invisible to the Board of
Trustees.  While it may take a push from the NCAA to finally remove the Chief
from the scene (the recent NCAA Minority Opportunities and Interests Committee
report being a step in the right direction), continued local efforts are
certainly worthwhile.  I welcome the opinions of any of you, and suggestions
on how to proceed.

I wish you well in your efforts and look forward to meeting with many of you
in the future.

Sincerely,

  Brian

p.s. I just sent my own letter in to the News-Gazette.

Contact info:

email:
   editor at retirethechief.org   //    letters at retirethechief.org
   bjewett at earthlink.net (personal acct, please do not distribute)
   b-jewett at uiuc.edu (UIUC acct, prefer it also not be used)
snail-mail:
   Retire The Chief
   P.O. Box 3132
   Champaign, IL 61826 ... or ...
   Brian Jewett, 1013 Francis Drive #4, Champaign 61821 (home; please do not
distribute)

Peace.