[Peace] AWARE Minutes, 11/24

Green, David dlgreen at uillinois.edu
Mon Nov 25 16:25:48 CST 2002

AWARE Minutes for 11/24/02

Facilitator: Al Kagan

Food Provided by: Sandra and Friends Catering

Minutes by: David Green

1. Three artists from The Beehive Collective (beehivecollective.org)
presented their mural narrative of Plan Colombia, or Plan Colonia as it is
called there. Wonderful work and a remarkable account. Available for
downloading from website

2.  Channel 15 report from 11/17 on resistance to the war, tape provided by
Lisa Chason, appearance by Ricky Baldwin. Articulate as usual, but according
to public relations experts, in order to generate more interest we need a
prettier face with a British accent: How about Ricky's wife?

3.  News of the Week: Carl Estabrook

Nancy Pelosi, new Democratic House leader, will support war (even thought
she voted against it). She learns fast, and has a bright future within the
two-party system as it is currently constituted.

U.S. tries to claim that Iraq firing at planes violates U.N. resolution.
Nice try, nobody buys. We're stuck with lying about WMDs. Last resort: Elvis
being held in Baghdad since Gulf War.

U.S. busy buying off Turkey to support imminent war-this is not a
Thanksgiving pun.

Israeli Labor party nominates more dovish candidate (Amram Mitzna) to most
likely lose to Sharon or Netanyahu in January.

Homeland Security Act passed with lots of pork added; too early to deny
Christmas-related pun; besides, I'm Jewish.

NATO expands to include lots of countries nowhere near the North Atlantic,
but nobody knows anymore what NATO stands for anyway; these countries want
to be allowed to sell arms to the European branch of the American global
police force, as well as their souls.

4. DI ads - anti-Semitism issue

There was a discussion about the racist ads in the DI. On the one hand,
paid-for speech is not free speech, and these ads cause Muslim students to
be concerned about their safety. On the other hand, bad speech needs to be
countered by more speech. The current environment provides an opportunity to
express such speech, and already has. Members are encouraged to support
either view by communicating with the DI, the Chancellor's office, and
University police.

This writer is working on a flier to address AWARE's perspective on Israel's
role in the U.S. War on Terrorism in general and imminent war against Iraq
in particular. A working group will define the general content of this
flier, which will also address the issues of anti-Semitism and racism on
college campuses and the broader debate about Israel/Palestine, the
occupation, etc.

Members are strongly encouraged to submit articles on these issues to the DI
and the Public I, and of course letters to the N-G. I'll be happy to help
anyone who is writing a letter or article, if you need some clarification on
facts or in defining various points of view regarding a conflict that is
obscured by incredible amounts of propaganda. My home phone is 356-2034.
Call me after 7 (I'm watching Seinfeld until then, our excuse for quality
time).

We need to do more internal education on these issues, in order to be able
to inform others. I'm also willing to help out with this, of course-there
are many ways to go in terms of reading, videos, etc. Your input is welcome.

The idea of a teach-in to address these issues is being put on the back
burner for now. Contact Carol Inskeep, who has inside information on exactly
where this back burner is located.

5. Martin Luther King Day: We are considering various ways to promote a less
sanitized celebration, incorporating MLK's antiwar perspectives. Sharon
suggested stressing minority participation in war during church visits. Lisa
suggested an indoor parade. This project was given over to the Direct Action
committee.

6. It was suggested that we promote City of Urbana or Champaign passing a
resolution rejecting the Patriot Act. Carl suggested that candidates for
Champaign City Council be asked about their views on this issue. Carl also
suggested that people run for the Champaign City Council.

7. Past Events

National Youth Action Day at Urbana High School was joined by about 100
students protesting the war, and managed to offend administration by
chalking. Good job, but students unable to get themselves suspended (yet).

Postcards for Peace are for sale, packet of 12 for $15. Contact Sandra
Ahten.

Not mentioned, but a successful protest on Prospect again on Saturday. We
were joined by at least two younger teenaged boys, countering stereotypes of
testosterone-laden rush to war frequently generated by passers-by.

8. Future Events

Ministerial Association discussion of Iraq war, all at 7 p.m.:

Monday (tonight), Church of Brethren, 1210 N. Neil

Tuesday (11/26), Sinai Temple (I'll be there; go on Windsor west past
Duncan, past office complex, past Exit Sign, and turn right at Enter sign;
don't look for sign that says Sinai Temple, there isn't one. Just look for a
long parking lot with a long building behind it.)

Wednesday (11/27), New Hope Church of God in Christ, 911 W. Bradley.

Library Display, Champaign Public Library, December, being organized now by
Charlotte Green.

Peace Bazaar, contact Joan Nelshoppen (or Jay Mittenthal), December 14th,
9-3, Community United Church of Christ.

You can buy UNICEF cards from 11:45 to 1:15 daily at University YMCA.

Carl Estabrook will be hosting a night owl show on WEFT, Tuesdays and
Wednesdays a.m., 2 to 6. You can listen, or go to the studio and
participate.

9. Current Account Balance: $3546.00