[Peace] RE: Invitation for AWARE to Co-Sponsor Colombian Speaker

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Mon Oct 14 16:40:42 CDT 2002

Hello members of AWARE,

As you can know, the Illinois Disciples Foundation is
bringing in Palestinian Activist Osama Saba to
speak at 7pm on September 23rd. Thank you to AWARE for agreeing to
co-sponsor this event, I'll have flyers at this Sunday's meeting.

Also, we have Colombian human rights defender, Elder Sanchez, coming
to talk on October 10th.  I wanted to provide AWARE an opportunity
to co-sponsor this event as well.  I will bring this matter up for
discussion at our meeting on Sunday.

We're not asking for any money from co-sponsors, simply help
promoting the event. The formal invitation letter is below.

I'll be happy to answer questions this Sunday, see you then,

In peace,
Meridith
------------------

Thursday September 12th, 2002

Dear Friend,

The Illinois Disciples Foundation would like to invite your organization to
co-sponsor the upcoming talk by Colombian human rights defender Elder
Sanchez entitled, “Telling the Real Story: The Impact of US Policy in
Colombia”. This talk will take place on Thursday October 10th the Illinois
Disciples Foundation from 7-9pm in Wisegarver Lounge, located at the corner
of Springfield and Wright in Champaign.

Elder Jair Sanchez, a lawyer, is the leader of the National Association of
Peasant Farmers (ANUC).  For the period spanning 2001-2003, Elder is serving
as a delegate to the Departmental Assembly of Putumayo and between 1995 and
2001, he headed up a team that developed proposals for manual eradication of
illicit crops in Putumayo.  At present, Elder is the promoter of the
Association for Social Pacts for Voluntary Manual Eradication of Illicit
Crops in Putumayo.

Elder’s talk at the Illinois Disciples Foundation is just one stop on a
speaking tour organized by the US Office on Colombia.  On this tour Carolina
Aldana and Elder Jair Sanchez are visiting cities across the United States
to give first hand accounts of their lives and their personal struggle in a
country torn by war.  During his talk at the Illinois Disciples Foundation,
Elder will give testimony of the massacre of rural communities and the
persecution of civilians by both sides in the war, by paramilitary groups,
supported by the Colombian military, and by guerrilla forces.  Specifically,
his testimony will focus on the impact of US policy on the lives of ordinary
Colombians, such as the effects caused by the fumigation of large areas of
southern Colombia.  Elder will also discuss alternatives to current US
Policy and share ways we can organize locally for more just solutions.

I hope your organization will be able to co-sponsor this event.   We are not
asking co-sponsoring organizations for a monetary contribution, but simply
to allow their names to be used in publicity for the event and to help
promote the event among their members and allies.  To be mentioned as a
co-sponsor I need to hear back from your organization by 9:00pm Sunday
September 22nd.

If you have any questions please call 352-8721.  This event will be free and
open to the public, translation between Spanish and English will be
provided, and childcare is available upon request.

I hope to hear from you soon, in peace and solidarity,

Meridith Kruse
Director, Illinois Disciples Foundation