[Peace] Thank-You From PRC

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Tue Oct 15 22:43:35 CDT 2002

To AWARE:

On behalf of the Progressive Resource/Action Coopertive, I would like to
express my thanks for your assistance in co-sponsoring the PRC's
Anti-Columbus/
Anti-"Chief" rally last Monday.  The event was a tremendous success, and
AWARE helped it turn out great!

On Monday, over 100 students and community members came out to make the
connection between the dedication of a national day of honor to
Native-killer Christopher Columbus and the continued marginalization of
Native peoples, as evidenced in the UI's use of "Chief Illiniwek." UI
students Gabe Cortes and Sylvia Caballero, members of various campus
organizations, and PRC members Brooke Anderson and Kurt Hilgendorf
attested to this "tradition" of racism and demanded that people of
conscience work a little bit harder to keep the pressure on the UI Board
of Trustees about this issue.

PRC looks forward to working with you in the future, and we will have
plenty of opportunities! The Board of Trustees will be meeting on the UI
campus on November 13 and 14 and we already have begun making plans for
this event! We'll be contacting you again soon about these opportunities
to work together and about possible ways your organization can publicly
proclaim itself anti-"Chief"!

In the meantime, please feel free to contact the three PRC coordinators
or Outreach Committee Chair via email for further joint organizing efforts.

Please let us know what you have planned for the semester and the ways we
can help out! The more we work together, the louder our voices become!

 Coordinators:
 Brooke Anderson: brooke at shout.net
 Lian Alan: lianala at uiuc.edu
 Karin Lange: kelange at uiuc.edu

 Outreach Co-Chair:
 Sarah Jayne Dipert: dipert at uiuc.edu

You can also contact the organization collectively at prc at prairienet.org.
Once again, thank you for your co-sponsorship, and good luck with your
efforts!

Sarah Jayne Dipert,
on behalf of the PRC