[Peace] minutes 10/20

Karen Kohn karenkohn00 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 19:53:32 CDT 2002

AWARE Meeting.  October 20.

Presentation
Two students from the South Asian Collective came to talk to us about their group.  The group was formed recently to allow students to connect across borders.  It is easier for, say, Indians and Pakistanis, to meet in America than in their home countries.  Right now they mainly have video screenings, but one of our visitors commented that issues like war and racism affect South Asia as well as the U.S., and if the conflict over Kashmir turns into a war it will affect us here.  So we probably have some common ground, but since their group hasn't officially adopted positions on social issues, they'll have to vote on whether to co-sponsor our events.
The group meets every other Thursday at 7 PM in room 402 of the Illini Union.  (They are meeting Oct. 24)
See www.geocities.com/sacuiuc or write to sacuiuc at yahoo.com for more info.

Carl's News of the Week

Upcoming Events
  a.. Zach Cravens and Matt Reichel from Student Peace Action reported that 30 students are going to DC on October 25 and are looking for donations to cover transportation.  We passed a hat and got $137!!  If you'd like to contribute, e-mail Jeff at jeffsowers at swissinfo.org  Those going are having departure send-off rally on October 25.  Probably by the alma mater, but this might change.
  b.. Palestinian Truth Tour.  Friday night, 7 P.M..  Illinois Disciples Foundation.  The event includes a 1/2 hour documentary, two speakers who have been in the Occupied Territory, and artwork by kids in the Jenin Refugee Camp.
  c.. Postcards for Peace is happening November 11 at 3 P.M. at Caffe Paradiso.  There will be an auction of framed postcards and possibly a sale of sets of postcards.  Sandra is still looking for postcards to auction.  Think of local celebrities who might make one.  She also needs help with publicity, and donations of glass and matting.  She'll be having framing parties at her house 12-2 on Saturdays.
  d.. Teachers for Peace and Justice is having a teach-in November 11, 1-3.  Maybe we can get them to come to the auction afterwards.  They will meet this Tuesday at 5 in the English Building, room 125.
  e.. All 3 Congressional candidates will be on WILL on Thursday at 8 pm.  Please call in and ask questions about peace and justice, as it will show support for Carl.
  f.. Protesting on Prospect will continue, 2-4 pm Saturdays.
Past/Completed Events
  a.. Ricky and the literature group created a Welcome letter for new members with a list of resources and places to write letters.  They have some ideas for new fliers but want to wait to see what happens with Iraq and the draft.  Literature is in a black case next to the bathroom at the IMC.  If you want to distribute some, come get it and bring back what is left over.
  b.. The protesters on Prospect on Saturday were issued tickets for stepping out into the street, in contrast with a truck driver who drove onto the sidewalk last week.  Check the IMC Newswire (www.ucimc.org) for a story Sandra wrote.
New Ideas/Upcoming Events
  Sandra wants to rent a kiosk at Marketplace Mall for the month of December!  AWARE could sell t-shirts and postcards and hand out leaflets.  It would cost $1000 for one month.  Jeff is going to call the mall and ask if we could have a table there for free.  If anyone is interested in researching what would be involved in getting the sales kiosk, please e-mail the list or spiritofsandra at hotmail.com.