[Peace] Fwd: Anti-Semitism

R Braun braun at cyberspace.org
Tue Oct 22 15:47:17 CDT 2002

Hi, everyone.  I'd like to echo what Charlotte has said; I've had
conversations like hers, and I have a dear friend who has expressed
discomfort about events where Israeli divestment has become tied to the
issue at hand.

And despite the fact that I -agree- with those who hold that the Israeli
gov't is deeply in the wrong in their oppression of Palestinians,
there have been times when -I've- wondered too (I'm Israeli by birth,
Jewish by descent, and an agnostic American by choice and chance).
Any concerns I've had about latent anti-Semitism have been allayed,
again and again and without my needing to have said anything, by the
strength of this community.  Dialogue makes obvious to me that it's
-not- anti-Semitism at play; and it would do so to others, as well --
when those conversations happen.

I like Charlotte's ideas a lot.  I think a forum may accomplish
something that flyer text can't.  If it's at all possible, it might be
good to get a speaker from the Shalom Center (http://www.shalomctr.org)
who would be able to offer a pro-peace commentary from a traditional
Jewish standpoint.  Also, the Jewish community here -might- be open to
producing a flyer with AWARE that approaches Middle East issues in the
same way that the Shalom Ctr essays do; I suspect a jointly-produced
flyer would be powerful symbol that AWARE isn't anti-Semitic.

Idle thoughts.
Peace,
rosemary