[Peace] Fwd: Anti-Semitism

Carol Inskeep inskeep at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 23 08:53:02 CDT 2002

hi,

i'm very glad to see this discussion going on (althought perhaps we should
move over to peace-discuss).  just last night i got in a very
disconcerting conversation when i was checking in on the status of the
Public Service Announcement for the Palestinian Truth Tour.  the airshifter
was saying that he was reluctant to read it because he felt that it would
just be "palestinian truth" and would fall on the continuum of "anti-israel,
anti-zionist, anti-jewish" ideas.

maybe we do need to address this issue explicitly more often.  i know that
i have been reluctant to speak out at times for fear of being
called anti-semitic or of offending good friends of mine who are jewish
and very pro-israel.  i think that we should do whatever we can to create
a climate that repeatedly asserts that critiquing the occupation is not
anti-semitic; and that criticizing US policy is not anti-american.  many
people are afraid to speak out because of these accusations, and perhaps
we need to address them more frequently/explicitly.

i especially like the ideas already expressed - bringing progressive
jewish/israeli speakers, addressing the issue of anti-semitism in our
literature, and continuing to emphasize our role as american citizens in
changing US policy.

thanks very much to all for speaking up on this.

carol