[Peace] is AWARE aware?

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 31 08:24:46 CST 2002

Are we in AWARE aware of what is happening in our own town?

I would like to add to our concerns, and to Sunday's meeting agenda, the
racist activities that are going on right now: the Champaign school board
is holding hearings to fire Delores Henry(I think I have it spelled
right), an AFrican-American woman hired in 1998 to address the overt-
racism in Champaign schools. The school board is all white, and they claim
now that because of 'confidential matters' they will not let the pbulic
witness their law proceedings against her. Delores has indicated that she
wants the public at these sessions, and wants as many of us possible to
watch what the school board is doing, and to intervene.

Can our anti-war emphasis take on the 'anti-racism' commitment that our
name implies? Especially as this is a local battle, against a global
problem, being played out 2 miles away from us.

Can Student Peace Action join in? Campus groups are unaware of the racism
in the local schools here, and of what is happening to Delores Henry. The
more educated you get, the more distant from local concerns, it seems. Yuck.

Susan Parenti