[Peace] 9/8 and 9/11 reminders

Rob Scott rob at anacroatan.org
Tue Sep 3 11:42:26 CDT 2002

All,
I typed up this email to remind people of the two big events next
week. Could we circulate it to everyone that should be reminded of these
events? I'd like it to be distributed far and wide...
Rob

** *  *   *    *     *      *       *        *         *          *
AWARE, the Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort presents:

ANTI-WAR TEACH-IN
featuring speakers on Iraq, Israel/Palestine, Civil Liberties
Sunday 9/8/02 from 1:30-4:30pm at the McKinley Foundation

ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE
a Protest March against war and the erosion of Civil Liberties
Wednesday 9/11/02 from noon-1pm protest at the UofI quad
1-2pm march from the quad to the FBI office in Champaign.
** *  *   *    *     *      *       *        *         *          *

At the ANTI-WAR TEACH-IN there will be three main presenters:
Jeff Guntzel, Co-coordinator of Voices in the Wilderness, a campaign to
end the sanctions against Iraq
Robert Hostetter, Professor, Playwright, and Artistic Director at North
Park University in Chicago
Ahmed Bensouda, Social Justice Activist, former detainee of the INS

Presentations will focus on the war in Iraq, the war in Israel/Palestine,
and the erosion of civil liberties in the USA. Childcare and refreshments
will be provided. For more info on the ANTI-WAR TEACH-IN contact Merideth
Kruse at 352-8721.

ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE is a protest with two parts:
noon-1pm: Protest at the UofI Quad, while the UofI commemorates 9/11/01.
1pm-2pm: We will march around the Quad and then to the FBI office in
Champaign, continuing to protest.

The UofI will be using the Quad Plaza to commemorate the victims of 9/11
from noon-1pm, so we'll be on the grass closer to Follinger Auditorium. We
too mourn the victims of 9/11, and we also mourn the victims of
U.S. warfare. Our protest is an addition, not a substitution, for outrage
at the atrocities of 9/11. We're marching to the FBI office to show our
outrage at the spying, racial profiling, and subversion of due process
which have become the calling cards of FBI "Homeland Security". For more
info on ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE contact Rob Scott at 384-5123.