[Peace] deployment

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Wed Sep 4 07:09:23 CDT 2002

Deployments leave Aviano near-empty

By Kent Harris, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Tuesday, September 3, 2002

AVIANO AIR BASE, Italy — Aviano’s flock of F-16s is flying south for the
winter ... sort of.

Due partly to the closure of the runway and partly because of the 31st
Fighter Wing’s commitment to Operation Southern Watch, there won’t be much
“air” in “air base” during the month of October.

The 510th Fighter Squadron will take its F-16s with them to Saudi Arabia.
Another big part of the base’s operations group — the 603rd Air Control
Squadron — already has left.

All told, almost one-third of the base’s active-duty population will be on
temporary duty during the next few months.

The 510th and 603rd will be getting plenty of sun and sand while taking part
in the regularly scheduled rotation under the Aerospace Expeditionary Force
plan.

The 555th Fighter Squadron will get the sun, but not as much sand, at
Decimomannu Air Base in Sardinia.

“We’re going to be working hard,” said Maj. Tim Coger, project officer for
the Sardinia mission. “We’ve got an aggressive flight schedule. It’s not
lying on the beach.”

Decimomannu is accustomed to housing Americans, although it hasn’t done so
lately.

United States airmen flew missions regularly out of the base as recently as
the late 1980s. And when Aviano’s runway was shut down for a month in 1999,
some planes were deployed there then.

But, “they didn’t take as many planes and they didn’t stay as long,” Coger
said.

Moving 27 aircraft, supplies and the support personnel about 400 miles across
the country isn’t an easy task, he said.

And it isn’t cheap.

Coger said the mission is expected to cost the military about $5.2 million.

“We started planning this in March,” he said. “Every unit on the base has
been involved in one way or another.”

Many of those units will be sending at least a few personnel to support the
mission.

Col. William Becker, the operations group commander, will be the detachment
commander.

He said the mission would allow American pilots to maintain their combat
status while practicing with Italian and German counterparts stationed on
base, meet hourly flying requirements and engage in activities they can’t at
Aviano, including dropping “dummy” bombs.

“That’s something we don’t get a lot of opportunities to do here,” Coger
said.

Other than the few differences, Becker said he’s expecting airmen to carry on
like they normally do.

“We are expeditionary,” Becker said. “There should be minimal difference
between Sardinia and Aviano due to the outstanding planning accomplished by
our wing personnel. The only difference will be in the environment, both on
the air and ground.”

The work environment on the ground will need some repairs.

The United States has been given space in abandoned Royal Air Force
facilities that haven’t been used regularly since the British pulled out in
the late 1990s. So civil engineer personnel will shore up the buildings.

More than 70 truckloads of supplies will be sent south before the mission is
over, supplemented by a handful of C-130 flights. Mission personnel will
travel in four groupings. The first left this week.

Those involved in Operation Southern Watch will stay away from Aviano longer
than those in Sardinia, although many personnel traditionally don’t stay the
full six-month rotation.

Regardless, the lines at the post office, cash registers and gate entrances
around the Aviano base should be shorter. And the skies will be a lot quieter
— until the F-16s come back to roost again.