[Peace] Fwd:[ANSWER]: OCT. 26: Nat'l March on Washington DC (1 of 2

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Thu Sep 5 00:52:41 CDT 2002

Major press conference announces

NATIONAL MARCH on WASHINGTON DC
* SATURDAY, OCTOBER 26 *
to STOP THE WAR ON IRAQ BEFORE IT STARTS

For details see http://www.InternationalANSWER.org

*CHECK OUT THE PRESS CONFERENCE ON C-SPAN*

Look at C-Span's schedule at
http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/fullschedule.csp  for broadcast times (you should press "refresh" or
"reload" on your browser to make sure you have the current  schedule).  The time scheduled currently is 5:52 am EST on  9/5 on C-Span 2 - but please check the full schedule for  additional broadcast times (and the schedule does change).
 The program is called "March on Washington announcement"  featuring Ramsey Clark.

Other press in attendance included CNN, Reuters,
Associated Press, ABC, Washington Post, Fox News, The  Final Call, Agence France Presse (AFP), Washington Report  on Middle East Affairs, Greensboro News, Hokkaido, Kyodo  News, Phoenix TV, among others, so check for local,
national and international coverage.

*SPEAKERS AT THE PRESS CONFERENCE*

- Ramsey Clark, former U.S. attorney general
- Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, Auxiliary Bishop, Catholic
Archdiocese of Detroit
- Mahdi Bray, Executive Director, Muslim American Society  Freedom Foundation
- Mara Verheyden-Hilliard and Carl Messineo, attorneys and  co-founders, Partnership for Civil Justice; members of  A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition steering committee
- Ihab Darwish, Free Palestine Alliance
- Peta Lindsey, Howard University student, A.N.S.W.E.R.  student and youth coordinator
- Shaimaa Al-Azzawi, Muslim Student Association
- Brian Becker, co-director, International Action Center;  member of A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition steering committee
- Damu Smith, Black Voices for Peace
- Art Laffin, Dorothy Day Catholic Worker
- Chuck Kaufman, National Co-Coordinator, Nicaragua
Network; member of A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition steering
committee

For PHOTOS of the press conference, go to:
http://www.internationalanswer.org/news/photo/090402-o26pressconfphotos.html

* EXCERPTS FROM PRESS CONFERENCE *

RAMSEY CLARK, former U.S. attorney general: "You may not  see it in the mass media in the United States, but the
bombing of Iraq has already started.  When we were in Iraq  last week, the United States carried out five bombings in  five days.  Ten civilians were killed in Basra, many more  wounded.  The radar that guides aircraft into the civilian  airport in Mosul was destroyed by U.S. missile attacks.
 The purpose of the bombing campaign is to degrade Iraq's  infrastructure and should also be understood as a type of  psychological warfare against the people of Iraq.  It is
the U.S. government that is guilty of genocide.  According  to the UN's Food and Agricultural Organization report of  1996 and the UNICEF report of 1998, more than a half a
million Iraqi children under the age of five have died
directly as a result of sanctions.  It is imperative that
people of this country take action now to stop the
government from carrying out limitless violence in their  name."

SHAIMAA AL-AZZAWI, Muslim Student Association: "The people  of Iraq have been deprived of basic medicines and the
things necessary to sustain life.  This has gone on for
twelve long years and it must come to an end.  Economic  sanctions are a weapon of mass destruction.  When we march  on October 26, we will demand an end to war and a lifting  of sanctions so that the Iraqi people can live."

MARA VERHEYDEN-HILLIARD, attorney and co-founder,  Partnership for Civil Justice; member of A.N.S.W.E.R.
Coalition steering committee: "I was in Iraq last week as  part of a U.S. anti-war delegation, and everywhere we went  people asked