[Peace] AWARE minutes

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 8 21:58:17 CDT 2002

AWARE Minutes
September 8, 2002

Carol Inskeep facilitated this meeting.

1. Carl Estabrook's News of the Week.

2. Past Events.
AWARE at today's Bears game.  There were 10-12 folks.  People were
more hostile than usual.  The next game is Sept. 22nd.

3. Upcoming Events.
Mosque open house tonight.
Saturday, Sept. 14th, 3-11 pm, Street Theater Festival, Fish and
Crane Alleys behind the Embassy and the Iron Post. We can have a
table and/or protest there.
Sunday, Sept. 15th, 5 PM, AWARE meeting, presentation by local mosque.
Saturday, Sept. 21st, 10 AM, NOW demonstration at Wal-mart, a
"merchant of shame."
Monday, Sept. 23rd, Palestinian activist speaker at IDF.
Sundays at 7:30 pm, Estabrook for Congress campaign meetings, Green
Street Center, 24 E. Green St., Champaign.  Need volunteers.

4. Voices in the Wilderness campaign presented by Jeff Guntzel.
There is a dual campaign: a general peace pledge and a pledge of
resistance including civil disobedience against the looming war on
Iraq.  This is based on the 1980s Central American Pledge campaign.
12,000 have already signed nationwide, including 1500 in Chicago.
The Chicago campaign will include letter-writing, meetings with govt
representatives, and if necessary sit-in at govt reps offices.  We
will put this on our next agenda.

5. September 11th event.
12-1 pm meet at Quad plaza on grass for memorial event.  Signs will
be available there against war with Iraq and erosion of civil
liberties.
1-2 pm march to FBI office at old train station in downtown
Champaign. We need volunteers to be marshals.  We have a permit, and
must remain on the sidewalks.
2-3 pm chants and speeches, including Carl Estabrook.  Jeff and
Robert will research chants.  We can use: "Justice not war.  Let us
not become what we deplore."

6. Teach-in evaluation.
There were more than 100 people and we raised $180 which is about
breaking even. Two scheduled speakers were Robert Hostetter and Jeff
Guntzel. Maaria Mosafar substituted for Ahmed Bensouda, and Steve
Hartnett gave a short presentation on the status of the Bill of
Rights. Some of it was also broadcast on WEFT, and it will be an
AWARE cable TV program.
There was general agreement on the success of the event and that the
speakers gave down to earth accessible talks, but some wanted to up
the ante to be more threatening to the power structure. We agreed
that we need to do both educational and direct action events like the
upcoming march to the FBI office, and possibly sit-ins as suggested
by Voices in the Wilderness.
We need to use today's sign-up sheet to update our phone list, and
prepare for Iraq war.

Minutes by Al Kagan
--

Al Kagan