[Peace] A War Based on Rumors

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Thu Sep 12 18:27:13 CDT 2002

Keep the calls pouring in!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Eli Pariser, MoveOn.Org" <moveon-help at list.moveon.org>
Subject: A War Based on Rumors

Dear MoveOn Member,

In August, White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card told the
New York Times that "you don't launch a new product in
August." (Link to article below.)  The product he was
referring to was a war with Iraq, and today's speech by
President Bush at the United Nations marks the grand
product launch.

Bush's speech was great marketing -- the copy was well-
written and the timing perfect for a publicity campaign.
It's no coincidence that the push for a war on Iraq occurs
only a day after September 11th.  The New York Times
article above quoted Administration officials who said
that Sept. 11 would be "a centerpiece of the strategy,"
helping to "move Americans toward support of action
against Iraq."

For weeks now, Administration officials have been playing
up this speech as Bush's big opportunity to "make his case."
But while the marketing has been stellar, the case itself
simply hasn't been made.  In his speech Bush released no
new intelligence and made no novel arguments.  Instead, he
rolled out a laundry list of old grievances and half-truths.
According to CNN, many of the allegations the Bush White House
made about Iraq are entirely unsubstantiated, or are based on
the testimony of sworn enemies of Saddam Hussein. (Link to
article below)

We need to let Congress know that we see through this
promotional campaign. Please call your Senators today at:

   Senator Richard J. Durbin
   Local Phone: 217-492-4062
   DC Phone:    202-224-2152
   DC Fax:      202-228-0400

   Senator Peter G. Fitzgerald
   Local Phone: 217-492-5089
   DC Phone:    202-224-2854
   DC Fax:      202-228-1372

Let the staffer you speak to know that you're a constituent.
Then tell him or her that you're not convinced, and that there
are lots of hard questions we're still counting on the Senator
to ask.  Ask the questions that concern you. Here are some of
the ones that we've heard:

Where's the beef?  Where's the evidence of clear and present danger?
What happened to Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda?
If our allies don't support this, are we going ahead or not?
Who's going to pick up the pieces in Iraq?
Why now, right before the election?
How many lives will be lost?  How much money will be spent?
What are the alternatives?

Once you've made your call, please let us know at:

http://www.moveon.org/callmade_iraq.html?id=741-1279390-pD9PDU2Rat9wLe2qKeDzxw

We'd like to keep a count. Your call will build on the momentum
started on September 9th and 10th by Peace Action's national
call-in days. Senate offices are reporting that constituents
they are hearing from are overwhelmingly against the war.

To play politics with a national tragedy is unconscionable.
To do so in the service of a foolish and destabilizing war adds
injury to insult.  Please call your Senators today and urge them
not to fall for this cynical campaign.

Sincerely,

--Eli Pariser
  MoveOn.org
  September 12, 2002

P.S. The New York Times article referred to is at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/07/politics/07STRA.html

The CNN article is at:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/12/iraq.report/