[Peace] Joe Miller's Supportive Letter in DI Today

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Tue Sep 17 22:06:28 CDT 2002

Hi all, at the AWARE meeting last Sunday we mentioned the need to
write articles to the DI refuting the notion our protesting at
Sept. 11th events were disrespectful.  Joe Miller wrote
the following supportive letter, appearing in the DI today
and I wanted to share it with you all.  - Meridith

---------------------------------------

Sept. 11 events already political

   As a Vietnam veteran with seven years of active duty and a University
   employee, I wish to comment upon some of the letters that
   have appeared in the Daily Illini recently.

   Those individuals who are upset that some of their fellow citizens
   would dare to make last week's 9-11 event into a space for
   political opposition to the coming war against Iraq seem to ignore the
   fact that the official event was already political to its depths. An
   event that was supposedly about remembrance of those killed and injured
   in the cowardly terrorist attacks of last year became
   political as soon as it included the flag and ROTC folks bearing
   weapons, not to mention the patriotic music played by the band.
   Was this a local politician's campaign, or perhaps a military funeral?

   Of course, this was in keeping with Bush's declaration that the day
   would be known as "Patriots' Day," which conveniently denies the
   fact that people from many different nations died and were injured in
   those attacks. As usual, the only ones who really count, though,
   are the U.S. citizens, since we are the world. And, we wonder why
   people around the world don't have the highest opinion of us, or
   what we are supposed to stand for.

   A truly non-political and solemn event would not have included the flag
   or patriotic music or students with weapons. Of course, the
   organizers could have attempted to make the event international by
   ensuring that there were flags that represented the nationalities
   of all who died that day. They might have sought out music that was
   more appropriate to remembrance of the dead, rather than that
   which promotes a notion of god is on our side, or, in its extreme kill
   'em all and let god sort them out.

   I, for one, was not surprised that there was political dissent at this
   already-political event. The demonstrators were presenting the
   other side by challenging people to think about what blind patriotism
   usually produces  more death and destruction for no
   humane purpose.

   Joseph T. Miller
   University professor