[Peace] peace

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Wed Sep 18 01:07:57 CDT 2002

A Commitment to Peace
Doug Rokke

    As I sit here tonight unable to sleep, my mind is considering the
ramifications of potential and ongoing military actions and economic
sanctions. As a disabled warrior with combat experience in two wars, Vietnam
and Desert Storm, I can only hope and pray that the outcomes of these actions
do not leave another trail of adverse health and environmental problems.  I
have concluded that we must unite in a concerted effort to prevent additional
suffering.  Throughout the history of the world those who make a commitment
to peace have endured isolation and retaliation when they challenged the
individuals and governments seeking economic and political advantages.  A
vision of peace where all nations can live together for the common good is an
ideal dream but may be unrealistic.  War is the ultimate weapon a nation or
leaders can use to control the allocation and use of food, water, terrain,
shelter, and mineral resources.  War occurs when nations or individuals fail
to reach a satisfactory compromise on sharing of these limited resources.
Today we are reaching another crossroads in history where we must decide
which road we follow. We can select peace or go to war.  One means life the
other means death!  The prevalent modus operandi at this time of those
seeking power and control is to threaten economic sanctions or military
attacks in order to achieve their goals and objectives.  This is
unacceptable. We must act to with a unified and strong voice to prevent
nations and leaders from imposing their demands on others. At the same time
we must make sure that those nations and leaders who pose a viable threat to
peace are checkmated. But that does not mean that we result to military
force.  There are many options but only wise persons are willing to discuss
and mutually select the option most beneficial to all.   Today information
control is used to prevent discussion and debate.  If a person does not have
adequate and validated information they will be unable to contribute to the
resolution of serious problems.  We just ensure the complete dissemination of
information even if that information reveals illegal or disturbing actions by
our own or any other nation.  These ways to achieve peace will require a
commitment of time, financial resources, knowledge, attitudes, life, liberty,
and willingness to endure isolation and retaliation by any person who wishes
to contribute towards the resolution of local, state, national or
international problems.  The choice is ours.  We can select a life as a
mushroom or we can select to act.  I select action for if peace is to be
achieved then I must "let peace begin with me".