[Peace] Neo-Con Events (4/21, 4/24) - Students for the Defense of America

msimon at uiuc.edu msimon at uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 20 21:23:20 CDT 2003

Hello all,

This is to bring attention to the two upcoming events
sponsored by the campus registered organization, Students for
the Defense of America.  Read the abstracts!  Scary!  It
would be great to have a strong group from AWARE present at
these events.

For the 4/24 Robert Tracinski lecture, please email me if you
plan to attend.  Tracinski is a prolific writer from the Ayn
Rand Institute and The Intellectual Activist whose pearls of
wisdom I'll post soon.  If the AWARE delegation is large
enough, we might also consider flyering at the event.

Thanks,
Mike Simon

4/21/2003  Teach-in: "Winning the Wider War: What America
Must Do Next", a series of short presentations and Q&A
featuring UI professor of economics Fred Gottheil and several
graduate students, 7:00pm, 160 English Building (Directions:
west side of quad, along Wright, between Daniels and
Chalmers)

4/24/2003  Live speaker event:  Robert Tracinski, “The Peace
Process War: How the ‘Peace Movement’ Created Modern
Terrorism”  7:30pm, 151 Loomis Lab (Directions: north-east
corner of Green and Goodwin)

"Winning the Wider War: What America Must Do Next"
A Teach-In
Monday, April 21
7:00pm
160 English Bldg.

"Failed Societies and Modern Technology: A Dangerous Mix,"
Fred Gottheil, professor of economics

September 11th destroyed not only the World Trade Center, but
the way we view our future. The "clash of civilizations," as
much as many like to deny it, is upon us. This presentation
will address the economic implications of terrorism, and what
our proper response should be.

"Terrorism, Rogue States, and Weapons of Mass Destruction,"
Susan Jellissen, graduate student in political science

Many, including leading Congressional Democrats, have argued
that the war on Iraq would detract resources from the war on
terrorism, thus implying that there is a distinction in terms
of "threat" to be made between the two. Threats to U.S.
national security arise, however, not only from "terrorism",
but from the confluence of terrorism, rogue states and their
production or access to WMD. This presentation will focus on
the strategies that can be pursued in order to eliminate
these threats to American lives and prosperity.

"The Right to Self-Defense,"
Ben Bayer, graduate student in philosophy

The governments of free nations have the obligation to defend
the rights of their citizens, an obligation that stems from
the citizens' right to self-defense. This talk will discuss
the roots and the implications of the right to self-defense.
It will explain why only the governments of free nations may
legitimately exercise the right to self-defense, why free
nations maintain the right to invade and liberate threatening
dictatorships, why this includes the right to
take 'preemptive' action against threats, and why the
possibility of innocent deaths in war ought not to be a
primary constraint on the prosecution of wars of self-
defense.

"Why They Hate Us, Really,"
Andrew Dalton, graduate student in chemical engineering

Ever since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, we
listened to endless analysis and hand-wringing by Western
intellectuals. These intellectuals insist that we discover
the "root causes" of terrorism in the foreign policy of the
United States. They ask, "Why do they hate us?" and provide a
ready answer couched in terms of our nation's alleged
oppression, hegemony, and interventionism overseas. However,
the facts about terrorism and American foreign policy do not
support this popular theory. Terrorism against the United
States correlates weakly with actual American intervention,
but strongly with the ideology of the terrorists--radical
Islam in particular. This presentation will argue that
terrorist ideas are the true "root cause" of the danger we
face

"The 'Peace Process' War: How the Peace Movement Created
Modern Terrorism": A speech by Robert W. Tracinski
Thursday, April 24
7:30pm
151 Loomis Lab (map)

"In another era terrorist attacks would have been regarded as
an obvious provocation for full-scale war. Yet over the past
30 years, thugs such as Yasser Arafat and the Ayatollah
Khomeini developed the new strategy of the terror war--a war
in which terrorism is not a prelude to armed combat, but a
substitute for it. What makes that kind of war possible? The
contemporary 'peace movement,' which paralyzes the victims of
terror and prevents them from fighting back with all of their
overwhelming military power. In this talk, Mr. Tracinski
examines the underlying meaning and deepest philosophical
roots of pacifism, explains why such an obviously disastrous
idea has such pervasive influence (even on political leaders
who are not pacifists) and shows how the 'peace movement'
determines the very nature of the terror war, from its
broadest outlines to the day-to-day 'cycle of violence' of
the Mid-East 'peace process.'"

Mr. Tracinski is a nationally-featured op-ed columnist and is
the publisher and editor of The Intellectual Activist, a
magazine analyzing political, cultural, and philosophic
issues from an individualist perspective. His commentary has
been published in the Chicago Tribune, the San Francisco
Chronicle, Cincinnati Enquirer, Los Angeles Daily News, San
Jose Mercury News, and the Philadelphia Inquirer.