[Peace] Tim Johnson meeting(s)

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 14:07:58 CDT 2003

Meridith Kruse has been trying to set up a meeting
with Tim Johnson's office on behalf of AWARE, and...

--- meridithkruse at riseup.net wrote:

> last week i agreed to check with Tim Johnson's
> office about
> setting up a meeting with him on august 27th, a day
> that
> many groups affiliated with "move-on" are meeting
> with reps...
>
> so, i played phone-tag with Matt Bisbee all week,
> and he finally
> called me back this morning,
>
> the earliest date, just for a meeting with him, is
> on Wednesday
> September 17th at 11am...he wanted to meet for
> coffee, I suggested
> the Courier in Urbana...
>
> So, a meeting is set for this date and time, and I
> would welcome anyone
> who wants to talk politics to come on over...Topics
> to discuss are the
> ongoing US Occupation of Iraq, and I plan press him
> on
> Agricultural Trade issues since I will just be back
> from the
> FTAA protests in Mexico...other concerns are also
> welcome!
>
> Matt Bisbee did say on the phone that Johnson "wants
> the troops
> home as soon as possible and for the US to get out
> of Iraq"...
>
> is that worth anything?  what is Johnson doing about
> this?
>
> Matt also said that when we meet on September 17th
> we can talk
> to him about scheduling a meeting with Tim Johnson
> near Thanksgiving,
> because TIm will be back in town then...if you all
> are interested!

... I think it's worth it, in case anyone wants to
hear what I think - if only to keep some pressure on
our local Congressional rep.  He voted for the war,
etc., but some in his own party are asking some
awkward questions now...

But, regardless of that, sounds like we have a meeting
with his staffer.  Thanks, Meridith!

Ricky