[Peace] Tim Johnson meeting(s)

Jen Roth jen at bobac.com
Sat Aug 30 00:06:00 CDT 2003

Tim Johnson explains that we should not have a full investigation of the
Administration's WMD claims until such time as he is no longer offended by
the sight of Democrats actually behaving like an opposition party.

No, really.

(Punctuation and capitalization are reproduced as they appeared in the
original.)

August 14, 2003

Dear Ms. Roth:

Since the tragic events of September 11, 2001, I have received thousands
of letters, phone calls, e-mails, and various other forms of constituent
contact.  The contents, of which, have been peoples' comments, fears,
hopes, questions, and concerns for our nation, it's leaders, troops and,
ultimately, its direction in this ongoing, global war on terror.  At times
the volume has been overwhelming.  However, it has nonetheless been
encouraging and helpful.  The decisions that I make at the national level
are heavily dependent on my constituents' participation in their
government.  For yours, I am grateful.

The focus of much of the correspondence has evolved with the changing
dynamics of America's leadership in the war on terror both here at home
and abroad.  However, Iraq and the ongoing events in that nation have, I
believe, been at the forefront of peoples' minds.  I believe that
President Bush was very clear from the beginning as to what Iraq needed to
do to prevent war as well as what the consequences of inaction would be.
I also believe that we are committed to helping the Iraqi people achieve a
democratic government.  There was and is considerable evidence to conclude
that Hussein's governement actively pursued and developed chemical,
biological, and nuclear weapons programs.  This was one of the most evil
regimes the world has known.  Video footage of the remains of chemically
gassed women and children, eyewitness testimony, and the mass graves of
thousands of innocent people are testaments to that fact.  Every time that
a mass grave has been uncovered in Iraq, without even knowing that their
relatives are buried there, individuals pick through remains searching for
any clues as to the fate of their loved ones.

I have no reason to believe that the President ever lied or intentionally
misled the American people about the presence of weapons of mass
destruction in Iraq.  I believe that there are weapons of mass destruction
in Iraq and that Hussein moved or hid many of them prior to Operation
Iraqi Freedom.

To paraphrase former CIA director James Woolsey at an open hearing of the
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, it is foolish for us to
say that these heinous weapons don't exist simply because we haven't found
them yet.  Around the First of August, our troops discovered multiple
buried fighter jet aircraft in the desert.  We know that Hussein went to
great lengths to hide weapons.  Finding more is simply a matter of time.

There are motions in Congress to establish commissions to study the
Intelligence Community and the ways by which they gather that
intelligence, as well as to investigate any and all statements about Iraq
and its programs to research and develop weapons of mass destruction.
Throughout my tenure in public service, I have always supported openness
in our government and I continue to do so.  Citizens must always have the
ability to question and challenge the decisions of their elected
officials.  However, I firmly believe that the current tactics being
employed by a few of my colleagues are purely political in nature and are
the likes, of which, I have never seen.  We as a nation should be
concerned about intelligence gathering and keep a wary eye on the actions
of our government at all times.  We should also be wary of personal and
political motivations at all times.  While I do not believe that a "full,
independent, bipartisan" investigation is needed at this time, I will
reserve it as an option for future use when the tone in Washington
subsides and reason, not politics, warrants such a commission.

Sincerely,

Tim Johnson
Member of Congress