[Peace] invitation to the School for Designing a Society!

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 30 09:11:10 CDT 2003

Dear Friend of Sdas,

For this fall organizers of the School for Designing a Society
are proposing a change of format, and thus of gesture:
instead of hosting a weekly schedule of classes to address new and
returning students, we're hosting one project (one class) to address
ourselves and, well, you. (As in, 'YOU'---you know?).

We call this project 'composition seminar'. It will be:
     a forum in which we (the we who meet) present
     ideas/urgencies/horrors-to-avoid/references/compositions
     to one another. ('Urgency': something that according to you
     needs to be changed and requires pooled creative thinking
     for ideas on how to address it)...

     and a workshop for preparing composed
     performances/events/actions. The purpose is to create the
     language that will enable us to make the conspiracies we
     want and it needs.

When and where does it meet?
     It will meet twice a week as a three hour 'clump': one hour for
      composition, one hour for performance, one hour for cybernetics.
     Thursday evening, 7-10pm; and Sunday afternoon, 1-4pm,
     at the School House
     409 N. Race St.

You do NOT need to come for the whole clump--if your interest is only
in one of the three parts, come for that.

How much does it cost?
    (Aha, this IS 2003--even SDaS is talking about money!!)
    Nothing---we consider this a project with would-be conspirators, not
    a class. The school building costs us $550 a month to rent/run. We
    're hoping that the composition seminar will result in monthly
    performances, where we would charge (umm, charge the audience, not the
    performers) and from that to maintain the school.

When will it start?
   The first seminar will be Thursday, Sept. 4.

Is anything else happening at SDAS this fall?
    There will be Poetry with Michael Holloway;
    a 1-week permaculture and alternative builing intensive
    called Build Your Own, Oct. 12-18; a 1-day workshop
    Liberation Education; workshops on Teaching teaching;
    and a festival of music and theater
    entitled Hear and Now: Herbert Brun and his
    Co-conspirators,  Oct 30-Nov 1.

How to find out more?
    Come to an open house at the School, Tuesday, Sept 2
     at 7pm.