[Peace] thanks and updated ordinance

John Fettig jfettig at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 4 16:29:36 CST 2003

Here is the resolution, in plain text format:

%+====================================+%
  Resolution Opposing War Against Iraq
%+====================================+%

WHEREAS, the issues between Iraq and the world community have not proven
to be irresoluble by traditional diplomatic efforts;

WHEREAS, the United States is obliged, legally and ethically, to solve
international problems in accordance with international law and the
Charter of the United Nations;

WHEREAS, a war with Iraq will jeopardize the lives of American soldiers
and will kill many innocent Iraqi civilians, without guaranteeing the
safety and security of U.S. citizens;

WHEREAS, the sanctions imposed on Iraq by the United Nations at the
urging of the United States government have resulted in the deaths of
hundreds of thousands of non-combatants, an overwhelming number of them
under the age of 5.

WHEREAS, past military conflict in the region resulted in widespread
environmental destruction and long term health problems for Iraqis and
U.S. soldiers, the effects of which have not yet been mitigated or
understood;

WHEREAS, the ultimate security of the residents of Urbana and the United
States at large is dependent upon working cooperatively with all nations
to eliminate poverty, injustice, inequality, environmental degradation
and other factors that breed war and terrorism;

WHEREAS, the Congressional Budget Office estimates a military action
against Iraq will cost our nation between $9 and $13 billion a month,
resulting in further cuts in federally funded projects and programs that
benefit our city and its residents;

WHEREAS, the costs of war and the accompanying ballooning deficits could
have significant impact on the residents of the State of Illinois, which
is facing the 4th worst budget crisis in the country, the school
districts of the state, 80% of which face budget crises this year, and
the city of Urbana which predicts revenue loss this year;

WHEREAS, The billions of dollars to be spent on this war could much
better be spent on schools, nutrition, health care, housing,
infrastructure improvements, and generally eliminating poverty;

WHEREAS, There is growing opposition to war against Iraq given that:
forty-two cities to date have enacted anti-war resolutions; an estimated
250,000 rallied in Washington recently to prevent war; the United States
Conference of Catholic Bishops, World Council of Churches, NAACP and
numerous unions oppose the war; and local peace demonstrations have
averaged once a week for over a year;

WHEREAS, the citizens of Urbana and its local elected officials have the
constitutional right to petition the national government on this matter
of grave concern to our community as part of the national and
international debate now underway;

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that we, the members of the City Council
of the City of Urbana, oppose a U.S. invasion of Iraq; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we urge the U.S. to work through the United
Nations to disarm Iraq and reaffirm our nation's commitment to the rule
of law in all international relationships; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we call upon the government of the United
States to make every effort to end the United Nations' sanctions against
Iraq; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we urge the U.S. to help alleviate the
budget crises faced by the majority of the states, and increase federal
funding to states, school districts and municipalities; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that we direct the city clerk to immediately send
copies of this resolution to President George W. Bush, Vice President
Richard Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, U.S. Senators
Peter Fitzgerald and Richard Durbin, U.S. Representative Tim Johnson,
Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich,  and local members of the Illinois
House and Senate.

Passed by the City Council of Urbana, this day of _________.