[Peace] anti-racism (Action Requested)

Peter Rohloff rohloff at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 10 09:54:31 CST 2003

Howdy all.

As mentioned briefly by Carol at last night's AWARE meeting, the
anti-racism discussion held on Friday was full of interested ideas and
discussion. So as not to clog up the peace list, I am posting the
detailed minutes only to those who were at the meeting. However, the
brief summary and action requested from all of you is as follows:

1. One clear theme emerging from the discussion was that AWARE needs to
stick at what it is good at. We need to keep doing 'peace' work and
deal with racism issues as they relate to issues of violence and
warfare. This will provide some continuity to our work.

2. The primary need we felt AWARE needed to address is that of
'coalition building.' To begin this task, we want to pull together a
list of all the resources present within the group:  AWARE members work
on many things and know many people, but these resources are not always
communicated to the group. So the ACTION requested is that each of you
would make a list of potential resources  and contacts: community
leaders, friendly churches and ministers, neighborhood organizations,
university faculty, student organizations, etc. Email these to me at
rohloff at uiuc.edu and I will compile them for our next meeting. This
list will form a working database of 'experts' on racism and violence
that AWARE can use for self-education as well as contact points for
coalition building and cooperative efforts.

Thanks, Peter

"He tried to sing, singing
not to remember
his true life of lies