[Peace] Request for AWARE to co-sponsor...

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Tue Feb 11 19:02:11 CST 2003

Hi all,

We feel very busy at the IDF right now. We're trying to fight depression and
anger with the US government by educating and organizing...

Specifcally, we're planning to host a Human Rights Film Series in March and
April with the films and facilitators listed below.

I'll be at the AWARE meeting on Sunday to ask for official co-sponsorship,

Please take time to look over the information now to save time at the
meeting!

See you soon, (feel free to emai or call me with questions in the meantime)-
Meridith

On Thursday March 6th we will show  “ In Shifting Sands,” Scott Ritter’s new
film on the history of the UNSCOM’s weapon inspectors charged with finding
Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction.  Roaa Al-Heeti, a UIUC
journalism student and member of the Muslim Students Association will
facilitate discussion.

On Thursday March 13th we will show “The Dirty War”, a film outlining the
effects of participation in the First Gulf War on U.S. veterans.  UIUC
faculty member and Vietnam Veteran Joe Miller will facilitate discussion.

On Thursday April 3rd we will show “The Men in the Trees”, a political
documentary on the RSS and the growth of Hindu fundamentalism in India.
Srirupa Prasad, a PhD student in Sociology at UIUC will facilitate
discussion.

On Thursday April 10th we will show “Cover-Up: Behind the Iran-Contra
 Affair”. This film presents a tale of politics, drugs, hostages, weapons,
assassinations, covert operations and the ultimate plan to suspend the U.S.
Constitution. UIUC professor of human rights and long-time community
activist Belden Fields will facilitate discussion.

On Thursday April 17th we will show “Panama Deception” which documents the
untold story of the December 1989 U.S. invasion of Panama.   Luis Alfredo
Narvaez Gete, a UIUC student and member of the Mexican Students Association
will facilitate discussion.