[Peace] Cities For Peace - On The Road From DC To NYC

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri Feb 14 20:40:10 CST 2003

Hello from NYC!

Below is a story about my trip with the Cities for Peace Delegation. You
can also view it at http://www.ucimc.org/.  Thank you for your support for
this trip.

Cities For Peace - On The Road From DC To NYC

activist, and this weekend I found my peeps!</p>

Providence, Des Moines, Santa Fe and several dozen others from the 93
cities, counties, and states (Maine and Hawaii!) who have passed anti-war
resolutions.</p>

resolutions.  We worked the phones, lined up our votes, battled with our
mayors.  Facing budget crises, we argued the local costs of war.  We were
slammed in the papers - called Alice in Wonderlands, delusional doves,
ego-maniacs.  And we won.   It is lonely business - being progressive
policymakers - even when we do win. </p>

the warmongering, to New York City where we will join hundreds of
thousands of anti-war protestors tomorrow morning.  I write this from <a
target="_blank" href="http://nyc.indymedia.org">NYC-IMC</a> where I
received a warm reception from friends I've never met in the <a
target="_blank" href="www.indymedia.org">Global Indymedia network</a>.</p>

East coast, because I know you are wondering, and I am interested in
telling.  Yesterday I was adjacent from the Capitol which is surrounded by
humvees equipped with surface to air missiles.  Yesterday, during a coffee
with Dick Durbin, he told us "I hate to tell you this, but you are not in
a safe building right now."  When I was in Urbana, it was easier for me to
argue "they are just jerking our chains."  "But what if they <i>aren't</i>
lying?" I thought every time I heard sirens outside.  I didn't sleep well
in my hotel room on the eleventh room one block from the White House. </p>

is in Baghdad.  I can't tell you how frightened I am."  Later in the day I
learned about one of the Administration's proposals for a first strike -
called "Operation Shock and Awe."  This plan calls for 400-600 cruise
missiles to saturate Baghdad, a city much like L.A.  What would our
country do if we were being forced to disarm at the same time we were
threatened with saturation bombing?  The U.S. wants to punish Iraq for the
short range missiles that inspectors recently found.    (Read somewhat
hopeful <a target="_blank" href="
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7728-2003Feb14.html">news
about Hans Blixes recent report</a>).</p>

I made my way to take a final toilet stop on the train, I was ushered off
the train into roaring sirens.  "The fire department is asking people to
leave the station."  For a moment, I thought of Tokyo, wondered how long
the gas would take to cripple me, gauged how many feet to the surface.   I
could hear the aspirations of my body as the rubble fell.  My anxiety did
not lift when I hit the street.  Overhead, half a dozen helicopters loomed
above the craziness of rush hour.  There were two solid blocks of police
cars.  I asked a guy selling newspapers what was going on, he just shook
his head "We are all afraid.  I don't listen to the news anymore."  (<a
target="_blank"
href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7392-2003Feb14.html">More
on fear</a>.</p>

through the fear, back onto the train, back to D.C.</p>

the Senators.  How can I cram six hours of public input into a two minute
statement?  What should I - what should Urbana - request of them?  Senator
Durbin voted against giving Bush war powers.  Senator Fitzgerald visited
Champaign last week and told the audience he supported making Bush go back
to Congress to approve a war.  I decided to thank them for taking these
stands, tell them that Americans don't want this war, and provide the
story of Urbana as an example - two townhall-like meetings, six hours of
public input, 468/26 in support of the anti-war resolution, how our city
and state needs the money that would pay for this war.</p>

same points.  He then introduced me and Galen Gockel, Trustee from Oak
Park, and we presented the Senators with our resolutions.</p>

absolutely right to raise this issue in your town.  When I was in
Champaign, I became aware of the urgency for peace there."  He went on
"But, Saddam is a murderer.  This war will be fast.  We will prevail.  It
won't cost too much because once we take over, we will use the revenues
from the oil reserves to rebuild the country.  Then we will address North
Korea."  Utter cowboyism.  As Jan Schakowsky, D-IL urged later in the day,
"Yes, we DO need vaccines - to withstand this assault of testosterone
poisoning!"</p>

brain shouted - "He gave up!  God dammit, why did he give up!" He went on
to talk about how the war will not be fast nor easy and will set a bad
precedent.   He criticized Bush for destroying years of diplomatic work
with North Korea.</p>

breathren at the National Press Club where we were met by the AP, Reuters,
Voice of America, CSPAN.  Cities as small as Arcada, CA (150 people) to
Chicago (millions) were represented. Our delegation, Cities for Peace,
represented tens of millions of constituents.  (<a target="_blank"
href="http://www.citiesforpeace.org">Hear audio</a>.</p>

the streets with our signs - one for each city - and approached the White
House gates.  We had contacted the President for a meeting.  The only
message we got back: "the President is out of town." Of course he is.  And
Saddam ain't in Baghdad either.</p>

across the country asking Bush to let the inspections work."  The guard,
the police, had no idea what to do with us.  When Joe told the Post
reporter who he was, he asked Joe for photo ID because he couldn't
understand why the Alderman from Chicago would be standing out in the cold
knocking on the gates of the White House.  It was a Michael Moore moment.
(<a target="_blank"
href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5750-2003Feb13.html">photo
and story</a>)</p>

were city council members, they would be in deep doo doo for roughing us
up.  (For an extensive investigate report on D.C. police brutality of
protestors read <a target="_blank'
href="http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/archives/cover/2003/cover0117.html">"Boss
Hogtie" from Washington City Paper</a>).</p>

Dennis Kucinich, Jan Schakowsky, Jim McDermott, Sharon Brown, John Conyers
- all members of the Progressive Caucus.</p>

by so many miles, observing each others work from afar, now in the same
room.</p>

out there working with your constituents on this issue while we are here
in the trenches of Congress."</p>

or nothing.  Bush has made a mess of this small planet.  Thank you peace
maker patriots for all that you do."</p>

peace in your communities.  You are the closest representatives to the
people.  You must stand up in your cities - gather people into ward
meetings - help stop this call for war."</p>

href="http://bernie.house.gov/pc/index.asp">Progressive Caucus</a>? They
are the ones who mobilized 60 Democrats to vote against giving Bush war
powers, amongst their other numerous acts for social justice.</p>

anything capital D Demorat, they leave lots of Progressives in the cold.
I have realized this myself as a council member.  My work is two fold -
work against the administration who subverts my efforts, and work against
the anti-system biases of the progressive base of support I so badly need
to do my work.  Recently I was pointed this same dilemma borne by the
radical Congressman, now retired, <a target="_blank"
href="http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/people/Dellums/dellums-con4.html">Ron
Dellums</a>.</p>

Tim Johnson (R-IL).  He kept one eye on me, one on the TV where a vote in
the House was being called.  He needed to make sure he made it back to the
chambers to vote for a welfare bill that "will compel poor parents to work
more, give states money to promote marriage and sexual abstinence, and
continue a ban on cash assistance for many legal immigrants." (<a
target="_blank'
href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5320-2003Feb13.html">read
more</a>. As Americans rush to buy duct tape to protect them from chemical
weapons attacks, the Republicans are taking advantage of the cover of a
looming war to pass ruthless legislation.</p>

safer?  Does he agree with plans to bomb Baghdad?  His litany: "I don't
have enough information do answer that.  Only the President does.  I trust
his judgment."  In response, I told him that some members of Congress had
just filed a lawsuit contesting the Constitutionality of Congress
abrogating their <b>responsibility</b> to decide whether to go to war.  He
shrugged, thanked me for coming, and rushed off to vote.</p>

we at the city level will have to raise taxes to fill the gap of services
cut from the federal budget.  This will hurt our ability to develop
economically.  2) The Democrats budget includes billions in aid to the
states.  I urged Johnson's office to support state aid so that the state
is not forced to reduce the portion of taxes given back to the city.  They
seemed more receptive to these messages.</p>

representatives and did a little direct action inbetween.</p>

drinking Tecate, and hoping the terrorists understand that hundreds of
thousands of anti-war protestors will be in NYC tomorrow trying to make
the world a better place.</p>

trying to bolster the political will of alderfolk here in NYC who support
the anti-war resolution before them, but are afraid New Yorkans will burn
their houses down in they vote for it.  I don't know what I would do if I
were them.  They hold in their hands the power to stop this war.  Imagine
the victim-city of terrorism passing a resolution against the war?  Might
as well declare the war is over.</p>

tomorrow's news!</p>

Danielle Chynoweth<br>
Urbana City Council Member</p>