[Peace] Lots of Opportunities to Learn about Guatemala Tomorrow...

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Sun Feb 16 13:52:05 CST 2003

Hi all,

I know we're all real busy right now and there are several very good events
occuring tomorrow night at the same time in our community so I
wanted to let you know of multiple opportunities to hear Guatemalan human
rights defender Jesus Tecu Osorio.  Jesus was witness to a 1989 massacre
by the Guatemalan Army (supported by the United States) in Rio Negro and
has been working for justice ever since. He has testified against Army
officials
charged with genocide, started museums to preserve indigenous culture,
and pushed for the exhumation of mass graves to document the atrocities.
He will be sharing personal stories about his life and inspiring acts of
international solidarity. Jesus is traveling with Jessica Popuvac, a UIUC
alum who now works for Rights Action doing human rights accompaniment work
in Guatemala.

Here is their schedule for tomorrow, Monday February 17th:

11:00am Jessica will be a guest on WILL Focus 580 AM, please call
in with questions!

1:00-2:30pm Jessica and Jesus will be speaking at Parkland College room
D244 - come out yourself or spread the word to Parkland students you know!

4:00-5:00pm Jessica and Jesus will speak at Lucy Ellis Lounge in the Foreign
Language Building on Matthews Street (across from Red Herring/Channing
Murray)

5:30-6:00pm I'll be doing a live interview with Jessica and Jesus on IMC
Radio News

7:00-9:00pm Jessica and Jesus will be speaking at the Illinois Disciples
Foundation
(corner of Springfield and Wright in Champaign)

Let me know if you have any questions!  352-8721
Thanks for helping to spread the word!