[Peace] SPAM: Please call today

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 24 13:53:33 CST 2003

Dear All,

The following has nothing to do with stopping the war against Iraq, so
delete now if you are not interested.

As an active member of AWARE, I am writing to ask for your support, that's
indeed why I am posting to AWARE.

Since the mid-1970s, legislation to protect lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and
transgendered individuals from discrimination in housing, employment, public
accommodations and credit has slowly gained ground.  With Democrats in
control of the House and Senate, SB101 and HB101 stand a change of passing
and being signed by the Governor. If so, Illinois would become the 13th
state to have such protections. Without such legislation, it will remain
perfectly legal to fire someone for being gay, to deny a same-sex partner
her right to visit her lover in the hospital, to refuse to rent to someone
because he or she is queer and to deny that person credit.  Cases of
employment discrimination in this state are well documented.  HB101/SB101
protects everyone because we all have a sexual orientation. It will cost
very little money to implement.

As co-founder of the 85% Coalition, I have faithly passed on AWARE
announcements to our listerv and have recruited many queer folks to AWARE's
events. Much of my activism has  shifted recently from gay civil rights to
helping stop the war effort.

Please send me some of your good energy in return.  We're all in this
together.

Please take three minutes to call and ask the two Senators below to allow
SB101 to move from Committee onto the full Senate for a vote.

If you need reasons why the bill should be given a chance to be voted on or
why anyone would support the bill in the first place, please visit our
website:  www.prairienet.org/85percent

Thanks,
Kimberlie

p.s. you don't have to be from Bloomington to call and Bloomington just
recently added sexual orientation to its nondiscrimination clause.
***************
READ THE ANNOUNCEMENT BELOW AND PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO CALL (Not
email)

Senate Bill 101 (SB101), the bill that would amend the state human
rights
act to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender
identity,
is going to be heard by the Senate Executive Committee at 1 p.m. on
Thursday, Feb. 27 in Springfield. If the committee approves the bill
it
would go to the full Senate for a vote.

It is important to contact members of the Senate Executive Committee
and
urge them to support SB101. The committee consists of 13 members - 8
Democrats and 5 Republicans. Only one member is from Central Illinois
(George Shadid, a Democrat from Pekin). However, all committee members
need
to hear from citizens. The committee roster can be found at:

http://www.legis.state.il.us/senate/committees/members.asp?CommitteeID=59

Just click on each committee member's name to get phone numbers and
addresses. Phone calls and hand written letters are preferred to
e-mail
messages.

The bill stands a good chance of passing out of the committee, so it
also is
important to contact the following and ask for their support.

Sen. Bill Brady (has voted against similar legislation in the past)
Senator 44th District
105A Capitol Building
Springfield, IL 62706
(217) 782-6216 (Springfield Phone)
(217) 782-0116 (Springfield Fax) (shares fax with Rutherford)
(309) 664-4440 (Bloomington Phone)
(309) 664-4410 (Bloomington Fax)

Sen. Dan Rutherford (has consistently supported similar legislation)
Senator 53rd District
105B Capitol Building
Springfield, IL 62706
(217) 782-6597 (Springfield Phone)
(217) 782-0116 (Springfield Fax) (shares fax with Brady)
(866) 866-4053 (Pontiac Phone) (Toll Free)
(815) 842-2875 (Pontiac Fax)

Please spread the word to as many people as possible!

Thanks-
Dave