[Peace] Prospect for Peace

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 6 09:07:45 CST 2003

Ricky,

I think that we should meet with the Champaign Chief of Police to discuss
the leafleting situation. There has been enough friction and a meeting is
overdue.

I would like to be part of a delegation that goes.  I'd also like to see the
actual law that applies to what we are doing. Calling a meeting will give
the police a chance to highlight the "community relations" part of police
work.

Kimberlie

-----Original Message-----
From: Ricky Baldwin [mailto:baldwinricky at hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 12:10 PM
To: peace at lists.groogroo.com
Subject: [Peace] Prospect for Peace

Prospect for Peace protest wins again!

THIRTY-EIGHT determined anti-war activists, and one dog, braved freezing
temperatures and snow flurries this Saturday for the 13th weekly local
protest against Gulf War II!  Thanks to everyone who made phone calls!  I
counted 4 brand new faces, 2 who were new a week or two ago, and 2 who
hadn't joined us in several weeks.  The mood was jubilant, to the tune of
hoots and toots (mostly positive) from passing cars.  It does seem that we
are seeing a little more anger directed at us, and I think we can expect
this to worsen.

One local TV and one Swedish (!) TV news camera filmed us from all angles
(including from the street, apparently prompting a call to the police that
someone was obstructing traffic - so a representative from Champaign's
Finest came and babysat us awhile).  The cop on the scene again told us we
are not allowed to leaflet the cars, but he did suggest a delegation of 2-3
visit the chief to discuss the ever-shifting policy.  Volunteers?

This was the LAST WEEK that we protest the full two hours from 2-4pm - next
week Saturday, January 11, the Prospect for Peace protest will be from
2-3:30pm.  Next week also students should be returning to town, which means
we can try to lure them out to join us.

The following week, January 18, is the big march in DC, which many of us
will be attending, and another opportunity to make the news as the local
angle for the national story.

On a personal note, I have to say how much I am moved every week by the
continued enthusiasm for these weekly protests (on top of weekly meetings!).
You are truly amazing - and inspiring - and I doubt that I've ever said that
before.  When I had to miss a week recently, I felt down, and when I feel
down beforehand, it only takes about 5 minutes out on Prospect with you guys
to cheer me up.  Several others have expressed similar feelings to me, and I
think many others are unspeakably glad to see us or to have a place to go
where they feel part of something sane and humane (pardon the rhyme).  We
are part of an international movement of sanity and humanity, in fact - and
we can be proud of our contribution.

We may wonder sometimes if we are effective, as it appears that we aren't
going to stop this war from happening, but this group is (part of) a vital
antidote to the disease of war and repression.  We just need to focus on
getting more and more new folks to a few well-planned events, and shake out
a few new helpers from each event - in other words, keep up the good work!

"Don't waste any time in mourning -- organize!" - Joe Hill, just before his
execution

  _____

Protect your PC - Click here <http://g.msn.com/8HMREN/2024>  for McAfee.com