[Peace] (no subject)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 22 10:05:01 CST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:00:56 -0800 (PST)
From: TrueMajority <alerts at truemajority.org>
To: ppatton at uiuc.edu
Subject: Support Congressional Move to Slow Rush to War            SEND
    FAX~a5322u4843t0~

Tell Your Congressperson to Pressure the President On Iraq:
The UN Process Must Be Respected

(If you are already a member of TrueMajority, you can send a free fax to your
Representative by just clicking Reply and then Send. Please forward this
message to your friends, family and colleagues! If this message was forwarded
to you or if you'd like to edit your letter, click this link to send your fax:)

http://www.truemajority.com/index.asp?action=2411&ms=conglt1&ref=4843

The United Nations Inspections are working. Foreign and domestic opposition to
a unilateral invasion of Iraq by the United States is growing. Even Tony
Blair's administration is muttering about a need to get approval from the House
of Commons before sending in British Troops. Everybody seems to "get it" except
for the Bush Administration.

A letter addressed to President Bush is being circulated in Congress. It calls
for The President to "make every attempt to achieve Iraq's disarmament through
diplomatic means and with the full support of our allies, in accordance with
the process articulated in UN Security Council resolution 1441."

Shouldn't your Representative's name be on this sensible letter? Click Reply
and we'll send a fax to your Representative now asking them to sign on. If you
want to customize the fax or if a friend forwarded this email to you, just
click this link to send your free fax:

http://www.truemajority.com/index.asp?action=2411&ms=conglt1&ref=4843

And please forward this email to everyone you know who might be interested.

Thanks for you help,
Ben

Here's the letter we'll send to your Representative with your name on it:

Dear Representative:

I write as a constituent of yours concerned about our country's rush to war in
Iraq. Recently Rep. Sherrod Brown and Rep. Ron Kind sent you a "Dear Colleague"
letter asking you to sign on to a letter to the President urging him to "make
every attempt to achieve Iraq's disarmament through diplomatic means and with
the full support of our allies, in accordance with the process articulated in
UN Security Council resolution 1441."

I ask you to please add your name to that sensible letter. The United Nations'
Inspectors are doing an admirable job. They need our support. A rush to a
unilateral invasion of Iraq will only lead to more instability and will further
alienate the allies we need most to ensure our security.

Thank you for your consideration of this issue.

Sincerely,
(We'll add your name and address here)

And here is the letter to the President you are asking your Representative to
sign:

Dear President Bush:

On November 8, 2002, the United Nations Security Council unanimously endorsed a
resolution designed to force Iraq to give up any weapons of mass destruction.
We believe the U.S. should make every attempt to achieve Iraq's disarmament
through diplomatic means and with the full support of our allies, in accordance
with the process articulated in UN Security Council resolution 1441.

The UN resolution calls for a tough new weapons inspection regime; it requires
the government of Iraq to provide inspectors with immediate, unimpeded,
unconditional, and unrestricted access, and requires that Iraq permit
inspectors to interview officials, scientists, and other individuals as
necessary to fulfill the mandate of the resolution. This is an inherently
difficult task, requiring patience and perseverance.

The report scheduled to be given by Chief UN weapons inspector Dr. Hans Blix
and Director General Mohamed ElBaradei on January 27, 2003 will assess whether
the United Nations Monitoring, Verification, and Inspection Commission
(UNMOVIC) and International Atomic Energy Agency's (IAEA) comprehensive mission
is proceeding in the unobstructed and effective manner necessary to realize the
aims of UN Security Council resolution 1441. We encourage your Administration
to sufficiently weigh future decisions regarding Iraq on the assessment given
by UNMOVIC/IAEA, including additional inspection time and resources as
appropriate. Your commitment to working through the UN Security Council and
your vocal support for resolution 1441 are critical to UNMOVIC/IAEA's eventual
success.

In addition, we respectfully urge you to use the opportunity provided in the
upcoming State of the Union Address to offer assurances both to the American
people and the international community that the United States remains committed
to the diplomatic approach and comprehensive inspections process agreed to in
UN Security Council resolution 1441.

Thank you for your consideration, and we look forward to your response