[Peace] Urgent: Take our message to the President and the Super Bowl (fwd)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 23 19:07:32 CST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 24 Jan 2003 00:14:57 -0000
From: "Eli Pariser, MoveOn.org" <moveon-help at list.moveon.org>
To: Dr. Paul Patton <ppatton at uiuc.edu>
Subject: Urgent: Take our message to the President and the Super Bowl

Dear MoveOn member,

As you've seen, it's been a remarkable week.  Now we need to keep the
momentum going.  There are two great ways you can help do that TODAY:

   1. Phone your Representative to take our "Let the
      Inspections Work" message to the President.

   2. Help us raise $40,000 TODAY to air the Daisy TV ad
      in Washington, DC during the Super Bowl (see below).

1. CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE

Making a call today is a great way of supporting the hundreds of
meetings that happened yesterday.  All you need to do is call your
Representative's office and ask him or her to sign on to the Sherrod
Brown "Dear Colleague" letter on Iraq.  This letter from Congress
basically asks the President to "Let the Inspections Work" -- it's
Congress taking up our petition.  The letter will be sent at the end
of the day, so it's urgent that you take a few minutes to call now.
If your Representative has signed the letter (see the list attached
below), you can call to thank him or her for taking a stand on this
critical issue.

You can reach your Representative at:

   Congressman Timothy V. Johnson
   Local Phone: 217-403-4690
   DC Phone:    202-225-2371

   Or through the Capitol Hill Switchboard at (202) 224-3121

When you've made your call, just let us know by going to:

   http://www.moveon.org/callmade2.html

We'd like to track the impact that we're making.

2. HELP AIR OUR "DAISY" AD DURING THE SUPER BOWL

Second, we have the amazing opportunity to air our "Daisy" ad in
Washington, DC during the Super Bowl.  Back in the dot-com boom,
Super Bowl ads cost $3 or $4 million to air, but we'll be able to
deliver Daisy to the President's bedroom for a great price.  If
enough MoveOn members chip in, we'll be able to run the spot.  We
promise we'll put the Secret Service on "pretzel watch."

This is an amazing opportunity to reach the President and the White
House directly with our message.  Can you chip in?  Just click below
to go to our secure donations form.

   https://www.moveon.org/superbowl/

With these two initiatives, we can reach father into the corridors of
power than we ever have before.  Please take a moment to make a call
and give a few bucks.  With your help, we can build the momentum
against a war on Iraq.

Sincerely,
--Carrie, Eli, Joan, Peter, Randall, Wes, and Zack
  The MoveOn team
  Thursday, January 23rd, 2003

P.S. If you missed the "Daisy" ad, just go to:

   https://www.moveon.org/superbowl/

P.P.S. Here's the list of over 90 Representatives who have already
signed on to the Dear Colleague letter.  Congratulations to all of the
meeting participants who helped to make this happen -- it's an
incredible achievement.

*Astericked entries indicate that the member voted FOR the original
war resolution.

Mr. Brown (OH)
Mr. Kind*
Mr. Wexler*
Mr. Doggett
Mr. Hastings (FL)
Mr. DeFazio
Mr. Blumenauer
Mr. Sanders
Mr. McDermott
Mr. Strickland
Mr. Hinchey
Mr. Serrano
Mr. Crowley*
Ms. Lee
Mr. Delahunt
Mr. Oberstar
Mr. Boyd*
Mr. Schiff*
Ms. Eshoo
Mr. Baird
Mr. Moran
Mr. Frank
Ms. Jones (OH)
Ms. Watson (CA)
Mr. Price
Mr. Clay
Mr. Smith (WA)*
Mr. Case -- the soon-to-be sworn in member from Hawaii
Ms. Norton
Ms. Brown (FL)
Mr. Rush
Mr. Jackson