[Peace] Resolution Opposing War - update

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri Jan 24 16:42:52 CST 2003

Mike Monson from the News Gazette, who covers city and county news, called
me just now.

What follows is generally the statement I gave to him.  It should run in
an article tomorrow.

Also, Lisa invited me to Sunday's meeting.  Keep up the good work getting
the word out.

"We here in Urbana don't live in a vacuum.  This war affects Urbana in
terms of our security both here  and when traveling, and opportunity
costs.

The best way to ensure national security is to work cooperatively with the
international community to alleviate poverty and injustice here and
abroad.

Instead we plan on spending $10 billion/month according to the
Congressional Budget Office to rain war upon the heads of people who have
been doubly victimized by a dictator from the inside and the Persian Gulf
war followed by 12 years of sanctions from the outside.  We are talking
about bombing a country where 1/4 of the entire population has died due to
war and sanctions.

Meanwhile, jobs are lost at home, health care is cut, Illinois faces the
fourth worst financial crises of all the states, our school district is
barreling towards a budget crisis along with 80% of all other Illinois
school districts.  We must appeal to our President - invest in our people,
not an ill conceived war abroad.

In light of this we have an obligation as councilmembers to exercise our
constiutional right to petition the government on behalf of our city to
pursue diplomatic means to resolve this conflict.  I have been approached
by various peace organizations to do just that.

If we do pass this resolution, we will join 42 cities including Chicago in
passing resolutions opposing a war against Iraq.

And we need to do it now.  On Monday, the United Nations receives the
report of the weapons inspectors and on Tuesday President Bush delivers
his state of the union address. This is likely to be a call to war."

-- | Danielle Chynoweth | | Art Director * OJC Technologies * ojctech.com