[Peace] Malaysia warns on Iraq backlash

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 24 19:02:31 CST 2003

Malaysia warns of Iraq backlash

Thursday, January 23, 2003 Posted: 8:21 AM EST (1321 GMT)

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (CNN) -- An attack on Iraq would pave the way for a
terrorist backlash, bolstering radical Muslims like Osama bin Laden, says
the man picked to successed Malaysia's longtime Prime Minister Mahathir
Mohammed.

Abdullah Badawi, currently Mahathir's deputy prime minister, is expected
to take the helm of Malaysia in October, assuming the leadership of one of
the United States' main allies in the war on terrorism -- and a moderate,
progressive voice in the Muslim world.

However, Badawi, who also heads Malaysia's anti-terror efforts, told CNN a
U.S. attack on Iraq would be disastrous, derailing the war on terrorism
and fomenting domestic unrest for most Muslim nations.

"It will be a tragedy," the 63-year-old one-time foreign minister said.

"Economics will be affected and the fear is that there may be more
terrorist activities, anti-U.S. terrorist activities. People are beginning
to hate the United States in a way that has never happened in recent
times."

Most of Malaysia's 23 million people are Muslims, and as in many other
Muslim countries, the war on terror is a battle for the soul of Islam --
between a radical minority and a moderate majority.

Next month, Malaysia will host a meeting of Non-Aligned Nations --
including Iraq and North Korea.

While Badawi's mentor Mahathir -- who has ruled Malaysia for more than two
decades -- is harshly critical of U.S. actions in Iraq, the deputy is more
muted.

"We can do whatever needs to be done to mobilize forces for peace," he
said.

Badawi pledged a smooth transition.

"It is certainly a good formula to ensure there is continuity and when
that is done, we can also ensure there is stability," he said.

Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-328-4064
homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein