[Peace] TV coverage of anti-war resolution discussion

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 27 22:29:39 CST 2003

Dear All,

I left the Urbana City Council meeting tonight at 9:45pm so that I could
watch and tape the local TV news coverage of the discussion surrounding the
resolution.

Both WAND-TV (Decatur) and WICD (Champaign) put the story in their first
news segment. Both reported that there were people who spoke in favor of and
against the resolution. Both TV stations showed cutaway shots of the 100+
people in the city council chambers.  No where in the story did the reporter
say that the overwhelming response was in favor of the resolution.

I listened to ALL of the 100 speakers.  There were two who spoke against and
two others who went down on record as being against but did not choose to
speak. That's 96 - 4 in favor of the anti-war resoltuoon plus the 300+ names
that AWARE and PRC got in favor of the resolution..

So I called both TV stations tonight and spoke to both reporters. Both said
the reason they didn't say how the public comments were looking was because
they left at 8:15 pm, one hour before the public comment section was over,
and they didn't want to report what they didn't know.  The reporter from
WAND told me that she assumed if people are there they are in favor of the
resolution. I told her that was not a good assumption. Both reporters are
re-writing their stories for their morning newscasts to  indicate the
overwhelming support for the anti-war resolution.  I was nice about my
criticisms and they understood and thanked me.

Listen for WILL-AM 580's coverage tomorrow morning and for Mike Monson's
report in the Tuesday News Gazette.

I felt so proud to be among all of you. It is nice to live in a community
that cares and knows that we have to do something, anything to stop the war.

Proudly,

Kimberlie