[Peace] Strategy for next Monday's Council Meeting

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 27 23:38:37 CST 2003

Our great turn-out was impressive tonight!  We need a small, much smaller
turn-out, but a turn-out none-the-less.

We will want to thank City Council for its 5-1 vote in favor of the
resolution tonight at next Monday's meeting.  This is also another
opportunity to make sure that the anti-war message gets out. Something very
visual with 8-10 people in the audience should do.

We should say during the public comment section at next Monday's meeting
that 96 people spoke in favor of the resoultion last week out of  a room of
100 people and that more than 400 people went on record in support of this
anti-war resolution!

What if we picked one person as a spokeperson for the public comment section
and had 8- 10 supporters in the audience? The speech should be very brief
and should contain some visual element.  Perhaps a giant heart or some
Valentine's day candy that is literally given to each council member, even
Mr. Otto who voted against it and Mr. Whelan who was a no show and will vote
against it next week (so the resolution should pass by a 5-2 margin next
Monday).

I am happy to brainstorm with folks but will not be able to be at the meting
next Monday.

Could someone forward this message on to peace discuss where it should have
been posted in the first place. I am at a different computer than my home
computer and don't have that address.

I hope someone will run with this idea.  We don't want a no show for the
binding vote next week and it would be a shame to miss this second
opportunity to get the anti-war message out in the media.

Kimberlie