[Peace] WHAT DO YOU WANT ON YOUR TV STATION?

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 7 13:45:00 CDT 2003

I am forwarding this from Danielle's electronic newsletter. I hope we
get a good representation at the forum.

WHAT DO YOU WANT ON YOUR TV STATION?
Public Access Forum July 9

Did you know that the people of Champaign-Urbana have our OWN television
stations?  Paid for in part by taxes on your cable bill (about $0.50-$1.50
per person per year), the four P-E-G (Public, Education, Government)
stations are publicly owned and operated and ultimately accountable to
you.  On July 9 at 4:30 pm, the Telecommunications Commission will host a
forum to get your input on how you want "public access" to operate on your
stations.

You may have watched a City Council or School Board meeting on channel 5
(City of Champaign) or channel 6 (Urbana Public TV), tuned into a foreign
language news cast through SCOLA on channel 7 (U of I), or an educational
seminar on channel 9 (Parkland).  But did you know that these channels are
"public access," meaning that you can have input on the programming?
Depending on the channel, you can make your own programs with equipment at
the station or your own equipment, submit pre-produced programming, or
make requests, as audience members, about what programming you would like
to see.

The July 9th Public Access forum is sponsored by the C-U
Telecommunications Commission, an appointed body made up of City Council
and community members.  The Commission, in a large part, determines the
funding and direction of PEG Channels.  The Commission needs to hear from
you, as audience members, distributors, and producers of Public Access
programming.  Please join us on July 9th at 4:30 pm in the Champaign City
Council Chambers (NE corner of University and Neil) as we discuss the
present and future of Public Access T.V.

For a complete list of commission members, go to:
http://www.city.champaign.il.us/government/gvbc.html. For more
information, or to receive e-mail updates on public access in C-U, e-mail:
Danielle Chynoweth, C-U Telecommunications Commissioner and Urbana City
Council Member at danielle at ojctech.com or 344-0183.

--

--

Al Kagan