[Peace] REMINDER: flyering event TOMORROW 11:45AM

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 10 20:39:06 CST 2003

Just a reminder that there's an on-campus flyering event tomorrow, Tuesday,
starting 11:45 AM.
We'll leaflet up till around1PM. I checked the weather just now and it
should be much warmer than last week, perhaps low 40's, but it also promises
to be windy. I'll be adding additional material on the back side of the
flyers consisting of quotes which emerged very recently that argue against
trusting Bush's claims about Iraq. It also plugs AWARE as well. I've
included that material at the end of this e-mail.

Other details I've sent to this list before:
Meet at the southwest corner of Green & Wright streets.

We will be distributing a variety of moveon.org flyers. To see them, check:

http://www.moveon.org/leaflets/materials/leaflets.html

and

https://www.moveon.org/localads/

The flyers are layed out very well and are designed to appeal to a broad
audience. They feature annotated, compelling, even damning facts and quotes
from relatively mainstream, non-controversial sources and particularly push
the idea that inspections should be supported instead of war.

The idea here is you just stand at a high-traffic area and directly offer
individual passers-by a flyer, saying something like "Would you like a fact
sheet about the war"?

Even if you can only stop by for a short stretch, you'd be surprised how
many flyers you can hand out in even 15 or 20 minutes.

New material on reverse side of the moveon.org flyers (layed out more
readably than this =8-)

Can we trust the President's claims justifying war in Iraq? You Decide.

On aluminum tubes the U.S. alleges Iraq tried to acquire for developing
nuclear weapons:

"Our intelligence sources tell us that [Iraq] has attempted to purchase
high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production."

President George H. W. Bush
January 28, 2003 "State of the Union" address.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/01/20030128-19.html

"[Iraq] has made repeated covert attempts to acquire high-specification
aluminum tubes . These tubes are controlled by the Nuclear Suppliers Group
precisely because they can be used as centrifuges for enriching uranium."

Secretary of State Colin Powell
February 5, 2003 speech to the United Nations Security Council
http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2003/17300.htm

"Extensive field investigation and document analysis have failed to uncover
any evidence that Iraq intended to use these 81mm tubes for any project
other than the reverse engineering of rockets . There is no indication that
Iraq has attempted to import aluminum tubes for use in centrifuge
enrichment."

Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei, Director General, IAEA (International Atomic Energy
Agency)
February 7, 2003 UNMOVIC report to the U.N. Security Council
http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/Press/Statements/2003/ebsp2003n006.shtml

On U.S. allegations that Iraq tried to acquire uranium from the African
nation of Niger:

"Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from
Africa"

President George H.W. Bush
January 28, 2003 "State of the Union" address.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/01/20030128-19.html

"Based on thorough analysis, the IAEA has concluded, with the concurrence of
outside experts, that these documents - which formed the basis for the
reports of recent uranium transactions between Iraq and Niger - are in fact
not authentic. We have therefore concluded that these specific allegations
are unfounded."

Mohamed ElBaradei, Director General, IAEA (International Atomic Energy
Agency)
February 7, 2003 UNMOVIC report to the U.N. Security Council
http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/Press/Statements/2003/ebsp2003n006.shtml

On whether Iraq is disarming or not:

"Saddam Hussein is not disarming."

President George H. W. Bush
March 6, 2003 National Press Conference.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/03/20030306-8.html

"Here, weapons that can be used in war are destroyed in fairly large
quantities . Now, that is real disarmament."

Dr. Hans Blix, United Nations Chief Weapons Inspector
Comments to U.N. correspondents, March 5, 2003
http://www.msnbc.com/news/881610.asp

 "The destruction undertaken constitutes a substantial measure of
disarmament - indeed, the first since the middle of the 1990s. We are not
watching the breaking of toothpicks. Lethal weapons are being destroyed."

Dr. Hans Blix, United Nations Chief Weapons Inspector
March 7, 2003 UNMOVIC report to the U.N. Security Council
http://www.un.org/Depts/unmovic/SC7asdelivered.htm

Only you can stop this war now! Get involved!

National Action: Win Without War coalition/MoveOn http://moveon.org
Local Action: Champaign/Urbana A.W.A.R.E (Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort)
http://anti-war.net