[Peace] We Stand for Peace & Justice petition

mjohanne at uiuc.edu mjohanne at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 28 18:35:24 CST 2003

Dear Friends,

Please consider joining me in adding your name to the
following statement. Thousands of people have already done
so, including Ezequiel Adamovsky, Vittorio Agnoletto, Michael
Albert, Tariq Ali, Patrick Bond, Leslie Cagan, Noam Chomsky,
Bill Fletcher, Eduardo Galeano, Susan George, Marta
Harnecker, Boris Kagarlitsky, George Monbiot, Suren Moodlar,
Hector Mondragon, Tanya Reinhart, Carola Reintjes, Arundhati
Roy, Lydia Sargent and Howard Zinn.

If, after reading it, you like what it has to say, take a few
seconds to visit http://www.zmag.org/wspj and add your name
to the list of endorsers.

The statement was released on March 27, 2003, and already
more than 14876 have signed on! Here it is...

"I stand for peace and justice.

I stand for democracy and autonomy. I don’t think the U.S. or
any other country should ignore the popular will and violate
and weaken international law, seeking to bully and bribe
votes in the Security Council.

I stand for internationalism. I oppose any nation spreading
an ever expanding network of military bases around the world
and producing an arsenal unparalleled in the world.

I stand for equity. I don’t think the U.S. or any other
country should seek empire. I don’t think the U.S. ought to
control Middle Eastern oil on behalf of U.S. corporations and
as a wedge to gain political control over other countries.

I stand for freedom. I oppose brutal regimes in Iraq and
elsewhere but I also oppose the new doctrine of “preventive
war,” which guarantees permanent and very dangerous conflict,
and is the reason why the U.S. is now regarded as the major
threat to peace in much of the world. I stand for a
democratic foreign policy that supports popular opposition to
imperialism, dictatorship, and political fundamentalism in
all its forms.

I stand for solidarity. I stand for and with all the poor and
the excluded. Despite massive disinformation millions oppose
unjust, illegal, immoral war, and I want to add my voice to
theirs. I stand with moral leaders all over the world, with
world labor, and with the huge majority of the populations of
countries throughout the world.

I stand for diversity. I stand for an end to racism directed
against immigrants and people of color. I stand for an end to
repression at home and abroad.

I stand for peace. I stand against this war and against the
conditions, mentalities, and institutions that breed and
nurture war and injustice.

I stand for sustainability. I stand against the destruction
of forests, soil, water, environmental resources, and
biodiversity on which all life depends.

I stand for justice. I stand against economic, political, and
cultural institutions that promote a rat race mentality, huge
economic and power inequalities, corporate domination even
unto sweatshop and slave labor, racism, and gender and sexual
hierarchies.

I stand for a policy that redirects the money used for war
and military spending to provide healthcare, education,
housing, and jobs.

I stand for a world whose political, economic, and social
institutions foster solidarity, promote equity, maximize
participation, celebrate diversity, and encourage full
democracy.

I stand for peace and justice and, more, I pledge to work for
peace and justice."

http://www.zmag.org/wspj