[Peace] (no subject)

Gabriel Stanton ggstanto at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:38:40 CST 2003

                        A.W.A.R.E.  Minutes  3/30/03

           Facilitator: Sharon Courvie (sp)! (Great Job!)
     	     Timekeeping: Lisa Chason
	          Scribe: Gabe Stanton

I 	Music-Michael Meadows (guitarist, Instrument maker) Funny, 	Satirical,
Folk music ! “Whats that knockin’ sound”, “A song about 	cows”, “The man who
obeyed signs”

II.	News of the Week- Carl Estabrook
	good source (iraqwar.ru)   check website  www.anti-war.net for more
details.

III.	160 people at Prospect for Peace(protest), good because of bad
	weather. However, questions about keeping the protests peaceful 	when
students comeback from spring break next week.
         -One Activist, Mr. LaRaviere was handling out flyers to people on
	Prospect showing the horrors of war.

	-Suggestions about moving to Neil St. or just staying across the 	street.
	-Others suggested having smaller groups spread out through
	Champaign/Urbana
	-We need to be in a location so that we can pass out flyers.
	-We need to educate people to be nonviolent so that trouble doesn’t
	errupt.
	-Working group was formed to try to develop a plan. General 	consensus was
that we will try to continue going to prospect but we 	will also organize
smaller protests throughout the city.

IV.	Finance Report-Linda Evans, Gabe Stanton	Balance $2159.60
	Collected $237 at Protest and $88.50 at meeting/collection jar

V.	Internet activity- Paul Patton
	New list “peace action” for Internet activism(moveon.org, 	truemajority.com
etc.) check website www.anti-war.net to subscribe
	-Please don’t post duplicate messages to the same list or one to each
	list.

VI.	Working group reports
	A.  Carol Innskeep and Al Kagan- Peaceful Tommorows(individuals 	who’ve
lost loved ones to 9/11 bombing and are  against the Iraq war) 	One of the
group, Jeremy Glick author of Another World is Possible will 	speak April
10th at 7pm at the University Y.M.C.A.
	B.  Music Benefit for A.W.A.R.E.- Miles
	-starts at 6PM Sunday April 13 right after shortened A.W.A.R.E 	meeting
	-could use volunteers.

	C.  Palestinian Truth Tour-Peter Rohloff
	-April 13 speakers ( International Solidarity Movement) from 2:30-4:30 	at
Channing Murray (above Red Herring on W. Oregon)
	- People with tour will sell crafts to benefit Palestinian Children’s fund.

	D. Teach in- Carl Estabrook conference scheduled (Tentatively) for 	April
20th in the 	afternoon or the evening

	E.   Debate between Pro War and Anti War demonstrators-Rich
	-convinced that there is a possibilty of a succesful debate because of 	the
openness of the organizer.

	F.  Personalized casualty posters(U.S. Troops and one Iraqi father)
	Randall Cotton
	-deemed to inflammatory by group as a whole. 	Working group is 	working on
more appropriate signs.

	G. Conscientious Objector and War Tax Resistance Group-Paul King
	    -Idea to set up tables in high school in opposition to armed forces
recruiters with information about alternative service(Peace Corps,
	   Americorps , college scholarships etc.)
	   -More Info available at the Concientious Objector workshop at 6 PM
	Wednesday 	April 2, at Channing Murray Foundation
	    -Tax Filing Party April 11, for those who want strategies for
	resisting war taxes.
	   -Tax day protest at Post Office on Green Street from 5-7PM signs will be
provided email pmking at uiuc.edu for further info on Tax Resistance or CO
group. Information on Tax resistance will be provided in the upcoming issue
of  our IMC's newspaper The Public I which will be available in a day or
two.

	H.  Anti-War Ad in Thrifty Nickel-Lori and Darrin Drda worked to get 	page
in printed in classified Ad book.150,000 will be circulated!

VII   Other Announcements
		A.	Malcolm X- Tee-shirts questioning patriotism available from Mr.
LaRaviere, veteran and friend of A.W.A.R.E. We gave him $50 to support his
efforts in flyering his Peace and Justice Manifesto “The True Cost of War”

		B.	Physicians for social responsibility- Peter Rohloff informational talk
about Gulf War Syndrome with Gulf War veteran and Scientist, Doug Rokke
tentatively set for 12:00 noon April 29 at the U of I Medical School. More
info developing.

		C.	Election in Champaign on Tuesday April 1. Progressive candidates for
the city council are Ken Urban! and Jiraldo Rosales. Progressive candidates
for the Champaign school are Nathaniel Banks and Margie Skirvin. Rock the
vote!
		D.	Call News Gazette and Televison stations to protest their pro war
coverage and poor coverage of our Pro Peace efforts

   E. Trip to Washington D.C. to protest War and engage in civil
disobedience is tentatively being organized          by Randall Cotton.