[Peace] Freedom Riders

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 14 16:07:02 CDT 2003

To test President Kennedy's commitment to civil rights, the Congress
of Racial Equality proposed a "Freedom Ride." The strategy: an
interracial group would board buses destined for the South. The
whites would sit in the back and the blacks in the front. At rest
stops, the whites would go into blacks-only areas and vice versa.
The Freedom Ride left Washington DC on May 4, 1961. It was scheduled
to arrive in New Orleans on May 17, the seventh anniversary of the
Brown decision. The Freedom Riders never made it to New Orleans. Many
spent their summer in jail. Some were scarred for life from the
beatings they received. But their efforts were not in vain. They
forced the Kennedy administration to take a stand on civil rights,
which was the intent of the Freedom Ride in the first place. The
Freedom Riders may not have finished their trip, but they made an
important and lasting contribution to the civil rights movement.

The Project 500 Reunion Committee
And
The Brown v Board Commemoration Committee
Present

Dialogues with Original Freedom Riders

Rev. Ben Cox, Hank Thomas and Ed Blankenheim share their experiences
as three of the original 13 Freedom Riders who made this historic
trip that sought to desegregate public transportation, public
restrooms, waiting rooms, and restaurants.

Saturday, October 18	7:30 pm
Lincoln Hall Auditorium

Open to the Public

"When we began the ride I think all of us were prepared
for as much violence as could be thrown at us.
We were prepared for the possibility of death."
James Farmer, director
Congress of Racial Equality (CORE)

--

Al Kagan