[Peace] Update from Guatemala

Jan & Durl Kruse durljan at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 22:45:15 CDT 2003

Dear Peace list:

This is a message from Meridith!

She is about to leave for the communities where
she will be working until next April.

Jan   Durl

Sent: 10/22/03 6:29:14 PM

Subject: Update from Guatemala

October 22, 2003

Guatemala City

Hello Everyone!

I hope this message finds you well!

I wanted to touch base before I head into community this

Saturday to start work as a human rights accompanists with

NISGUA (Network in Solidarity with the People of Guatemala).

It has been an intense but productive three weeks since I

left Champaign-Urbana.  I finished language school and am

about to complete my week of training here in the capital.

I have met human rights activists and other accompanists from

around the world and am feeling very prepared for this work.

Also, a big thanks to everyone who sent in a donation, your

help makes my time here possible!

I will be away from email for the next month, but wanted to

urge everyone remember the upcoming November 9th elections

here in Guatemala.  Although Rios Montt's FRG party has

already committed fraud in many ways (buying votes, registration

of minors and deceased people to vote, manipulation of courts,

creating climate of fear) it is important that the international

community remain vigilant and contact elected representatives

and the US Embassy here in Guatemala when problems occur.

So, please follow news about the upcoming elections in

Guatemala and thank you again for all your support!

I will be in touch,

I am off to the mountains...

In peace,

Meridith