[Peace] See you tomorrow

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 15:22:41 CDT 2003

Folks-

Tomorrow's the big day.  We'll see what International
ANSWER and United for Peace and Justice can do
together - and AWARE, PRC and Student Peace Action -
in this nominally post-war climate of disillusionment
and deepening deception.

The pro-war folks have little left to bolster their
martial spirits outside the tranparent lies and blind
obedience to authority that got them this far.  They
are clinging with increasing desperation to these now,
more afraid than ever as the great nightmare of an
Iraqi quagmire comes all-too true.  How much more
terrifying even than image of America alone and
surrounded by a sea of terrorists and terrorist
sympathizers must be the image of such an America as
it loses its foothold in the starving, bombed-out ruin
we've made of Iraq.

If we can't even win there, where can we?  Somalia?

They are looking to the anti-war movement to cheer
them up: by failing, flopping, petering out, staying
home, moving on.

But millions of others are looking to us, too.  They
opposed the war because the lies were so clear, and
now it's unimaginable that the lies are still being
repeated.  Aren't people supposed to be ashamed when
their self-serving lies are exposed?  Are we the only
sane ones, or are we the crazy ones?

It's up to us to show that there is hope, that
Americans and citizens of other nations can stand
together for peace, against tyranny in Iraq or
America, and for sanity.  It's up to us to articulate
a message of fairness and freedom for everyone,
regardless of their nationalities, and to show that we
do care for American reservists and regulars being
killed and wounded in Iraq (and mistreated at the VA
if they make it home), that we do care for those
killed on 9/11/01 by a handful of lunatic criminals,
and that that caring is not inconsistent with caring
for Iraqi and Afghani and Palestinian children, old
people, draftees and hospitalized civilians, or others
bombed or shot by US and allied forces.  In fact, we
need to show that the two cares are inextricably
linked.

How?  We do it with our bodies, by showing up, holding
signs and by peacefully expressing our opposition to
the current madness.

Calls have been made, flyers posted, PSAs and press
releases sent, an article posted to the IMC site.  All
we can do now is show up.

See you there!

Ricky