[Peace] Speaker co-sponsorship opportunity

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 13 00:02:55 CDT 2004

Nick--

You are of course welcome at the next AWARE meeting: it's an open
organization, and the people who attend are indeed concerned about the
matters you raise.

I and a number of others in AWARE will be something less than enthusiastic
about co-sponsoring Michael Ruppert, however.  At the heart of his work is
the conviction that the Bush administration consciously contrived the 9-11
attacks, and the bulk of his analysis follows from that.  I think that's
overwhelmingly unlikely, however much the Bush administration has profited
from its own Pearl Harbor.

I do think it's important to rethink what we know about American politics
and institutions in the light of "War on Terrorism," but I'm not so
optimistic as to think that the discovery of a plot will be the end of it.
If we could show conclusively that all our problems arise from the
machinations of a little group of evil people, we could line them up and
shoot them; but, as you know, that's been tried at various times, with a
notable lack of success...

I think our problems are deeper, more structural and institutional. "The
history of all hitherto existing society," it has been famously said,
"is the history of class struggles."  The American ruling class is today
in a unique position, unexampled in history, and the only agent that can
restrain that group -- in fact the only thing thing they fear -- is an
aroused American public. I think talking to that public about plots that
almost certainly didn't happen is at best a waste of our energy.

You no doubt know of the hostile accounts of Ruppert's work from two years
ago by people associated with ZNet, Norman Solomon of FAIR
<http://www.zmag.org/Sustainers/content/2002-04/28solomon.cfm> and Stephen
R. Shalom and Michael Albert of Z Magazine
<http://www.zmag.org/content/Instructionals/shalalbcon.cfm>.  I suggest
that members of AWARE look at those articles along with the web resources
you mention.

Regards, Carl Estabrook