[Peace] AWARE Minutes for August 8th

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 21:38:59 CDT 2004

AWARE Minutes: August 8, 2004

Facilitator: Durl Kruse
Agenda: Randall Cotton
Minutes: David Green
Timekeeper: George Bush, your time is up

INTRODUCTIONS: About 20 present, not including pre-K

NEWS OF THE WEEK: CARL ESTABROOK

On Hiroshima Day, reflection on U.S. (and Israel’s)
rejection of nuclear proliferation agreements
George Bush, reports say, increasingly isolated
Terror alerts not taking seriously, may be crying
Wolfowitz
Suspicious timing of capturing of terrorist suspects
in Afghanistan
U.S. special forces in Iran—Israel considering attack
on nuclear reactor in Iran
Hugo Chavez registering voters in Venezuela in
preparation for democratic election using computerized
voting machines

P4P:

On a beautiful day (Saturday, August 7th) – 30 attend
– diverse signs, including banner commemorating
Hiroshima Day
Over 100 fliers distributed on “Iraq sovereignty
One “almost” curb jumper
Good preparations regarding police and video
self-surveillance (thanks Randall)

URBANA-CHAMPAIGN INDEPENDENT MEDIA CENTER: LINDA EVANS

Linda suggested that AWARE consider increasing
donations to the IMC, due to their financial straits.
This could be done from AWARE account, or from weekly
“extra” donations during meetings earmarked for the
IMC, or by encouraging AWARE members to join the IMC
($40 year) or make donations. This will be discussed
again next Sunday (in keeping with rule of one week
grace period regarding financial decisions), perhaps
with Sasha Meinrath present, who will inform us of IMC
financial details. It is agreed that the continued
existence of the IMC is of importance to AWARE.

FINANCES: LINDA EVANS

About $2100 in account, about $500 committed.

BANGLADESH:

Envelopes for contributions to help flood victims in
Bangladesh will be distributed from AWARE table at
Farmers’ Market this Saturday. Members encouraged to
make contributions as well—deadline August 20th.

WILL COMMENTARIES: RANDALL COTTON

In a positive development (perhaps in response to a
persuasive letter by Susan Davis), four members of the
WILL staff have written a letter requesting to attend
the AWARE meeting of August 22nd in order to discuss
the station’s policies on commentaries by local
individuals. These are Jay Pearce, station manager;
Tom Rogers, news director; Ali Kawa, who was put in
charge of the commentary policy; and one more.

UPTV AND DEMOCRACY NOW!: RANDALL COTTON

We are looking forward to a strong turnout for the
September 13th meeting of the UPTV board, in response
to the mayor’s opposition to airing DN live in the
mornings on the public access channel. The Urban
League is in support, and Randall is looking for other
endorsements, including NOW. (Randall, if you would
like to explain your “two track” approach, or any
other relevant details, please modify for website.)

TABLING: JAN KRUSE

Farmer’s Market: Bush yard signs are now in, and will
be distributed and sold this Saturday. There should
also be some new bumper stickers and cool anti-Bush
buttons. A sheet was passed around for commitments
during the next few weeks. We (meaning me) could
particularly use set-up and early morning (6:45) help
on September 4th (Labor Day weekend).

Boardman’s Art Theater: This will probably be the last
week of Farenheit 9/11, and The Corporation has been
delayed for a week, so the table will probably be
taken down later this week. We have collected about
$300 during this run, due to the efforts of Jan Kruse
and others.

LAWYER: AL KAGAN

Bob Finch is continuing his efforts on our
behalf—nothing new to report at this time (Al, I’m
sorry if I missed something, please correct).

UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE: RANDALL COTTON

Randall suggested a donation of $100 to the New York
rally sponsored by UFPJ during the upcoming Republican
Convention. This issue will be raised again next week,
in keeping with monetary policy.

SUGGESTION: MORT BRUSSEL:

Mort suggested the donation and distribution of
progressive magazines to hospital waiting rooms.
(Carol Inskeep volunteered to disguise herself as a
candy striper in order to do this).

In a separate e-mail Mort has also distributed a list
of political videos that can be purchased. Carol
Inskeep, who in real life is a librarian, suggested
that folks check out the political videos and tapes
from “Democracy University” that have been donated to
the Urbana Free Library, including the excellent “The
Party’s Over” about the 2000 presidential election.
Not to be outdone, Carl Estabrook suggested that we
can now hear News from Neptune online at the
newsfromneptune.com website.

PAST WEEK’S EVENTS:

Hiroshima Day at Alma Mater on Friday noon attended by
20-25 people, sponsored by Friends Meeting House.

A new issue of the Public I is out, including articles
by Ricky Baldwin and Carl Estabrook.

UPCOMING EVENTS;

Quad Day: Mike Simon will (it is hoped) be
coordinating tabling for students AWARE.

Sweetcorn Festival: Friday August 27th, Saturday 28th,
a sign-up sheet was passed around for both days. I
will probably be setting up shortly after 5 on Friday,
and help would be greatly appreciated, as well as on
Saturday morning at 11.

CU at the Alter: We are invited to attend a unique
conversation regarding gay marriage at the
Unitarian-Universalist Church 309 West Green Street,
Urbana, on Tuesday August 24th from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.
“Breakfast for dinner” will be served, followed by a
discussion of same-gender marriage. Kimberlie Kranich,
a friend of AWARE, can be called if you are interested
in assisting in planning: 359-9884. Or e-mail her at
cuatthealtar at insightbb.com.

Finally, our “election dilemma” discussion is still
planned for before the meeting of September 12th.

Meeting adjourned.