[Peace] Urgent: Tasers on Council Agenda for 3/9

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 1 10:21:55 CST 2004

Dear All,

I just had a great conversation with Tracy Parsons from the Urban League.
He is supportive of our letters and phone calls to the Champaign City
Council members regarding the issue of Tasers.  The more we can get involved
in this issue, the better the chances are of the Council NOT approving the
purchase of Tasers.

Tracy believes the issue is poised to be on the March 9 study session.
That's one week from tomorrow.  Remember, it is at the study session, not
the regular council meeting, where we can have an impact.

If you are concerned about how Tasers will be used against minorities and
politcal protestors, please call, snail mail or regular mail ALL of the
Champaign City Council members.

And PLEASE consider these tips when contacting the City Council:

1) Mr. Pirtle, Mr. LaDue and Ms. Ennen do not use their email accounts

2) A phone call or snail mail letter are much more meaningful ways of
influencing your city council person. But if you will only send an email,
then send an email!

3)Speak to te City Council members in a persuasive and respectful manner,
not a combative manner.  Remember, you are trying to influence their vote,
not cut them down. They are only human. They work long hours for little pay
or recogition. They can't possibly know all of the reasons why Tasers could
be bad, so it's our job to tell them.  Use your own personal stories, do
research and present them with statistics.  This ISN'T a done deal. We can
make a difference here. Please echo the reasons Mr. PArsons from the Urban
League has given, too, to show our solidarity.  If a message is repeated
over and over again, it sometimes sticks!

4) Please come to the Champaign City Council Meeting on March 9 with your
well-thought out and respectful arguments.

5) Please forward this email wisely to potential allies

Thank you!

A list of the Champaign City Council Members contact information follows and
then my letter for those of you who might not have seen it.

The News Gazette story by Mike Monson on tasers can be found at the
following link:
http://208.5.125.166/ngsearch/index.cfm?&page=displyStory.cfm&yearfolder=the

04news&file=022704%5Fngstory%5F15534%2Etxt&search=tasers&theorder=asaphrase

J.W. Pirtle
Deputy Mayor-District 1
1205 Carver Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820