[Peace] Taser strategy and Champaign City Council

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 3 12:51:51 CST 2004

Hi, all.

I just came from an organizing meeting at the Urban League around the issue
of Tasers. Mort and Mike from AWARE and I met with some great African
American leaders and other great folks to determine a game plan to approach
Champaign City Council members and to organize a community meeting.

It is crucial that you send a letter or make a phone call to Champaign City
Council members today. They have already been hearing from people IN SUPPORT
of Tasers. I committed myself to getting 25 people to write a letter.
Please let me know if you do so I can realize my commitment :-)

These are some of the talking points the group agreed might resonate with
Council.

Many of them are questions for Council to ask City Manager Steve Carter.
Mr. Carter is is trying to ram this through, and has provided Council with
NO information whatsoever about Tasers.  Our job as constituents is to help
City Council do their job better and to demand accountability from the City
Manager for his proposal to arm ALL officers with Tasers.  Mr. Carter has
tried to keep this issue out of the public's eye.

Talking Points in letters to Champaign City Council:

	SHOW ME THE STATISTICS

	What is the justification for the purchase of Taser's by the
Champaign police?  Where is the need and where are the numbers/ statistics
to support this need? Are officers and/or arrestee's getting injured?  Are
arrestees being combative or resisting arrest? Show me the numbers!

	A study by Joel Garner, from the Joint Centers for Justice Studies,
and Christopher Maxwell, Michigan State University, examined the amount of
force used by and against law enforcement officers in 7,512 arrests in
Charlotte-Mecklenburg (NC), Colorado Springs, Dallas, St. Petersburg, and
San Diego.  The study found that in 98% of instances, officers used no
weapons when making arrests. I.E. Arrestees were non-combative nearly 98% of
the time.  How does this compare to Champaign and if we have similar
statistics, why are Tasers needed?

	SHOW ME YOUR PROPOSED POLICIES FOR USE

	If it can be proven that Tasers are justified, what are the
"proposed" polices for their use? Who will they be used on?  Juveniles,
pregnant women, the elderly, people with heart conditions?  Under what
circumstances will they be used?  If Council isn't presented with a plan,
then they should vote NO.

WHAT ARE THE HEALTH RISKS OF USING TASERS ON PEOPLE?

	Forty people have already died as a result of being shot with
Tasers, yet this is   supposed to be a "non lethal" weapon.

	What are the dangers of sending a 50,000 watt voltage dart into a
person with a heart condition or epilepsy?

	BETTER THAN A BULLET?

	It has been said that it is better to be shot with a Taser than a
bullet, but that's comparing apples to oranges. Tasers better belong in the
category along with mace.  So, how often do officers use mace?  What are the
statistics? Is mace ineffective?

	OTHER ARGUMENTS/QUESTIONS

Will citizens be allowed to purchase Tasers or just police?

Chicago police don't have Tasers, why does Champaign need them?

	Please write a letter to Champaign City Council or call. And when
you do, let me know so I can keep a count.

	THANK YOU!

	Kimberlie  (p.s. a town meeting on Tasers has been set for 7pm,
Monday, March 15. Location tba)

Here are those addresses again:

J.W. Pirtle
Deputy Mayor-District 1