[Peace] Re: [Imc] Taser strategy and Champaign City Council

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 3 13:38:44 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kranich, Kimberlie" <Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu>
To: "IMC (E-mail)" <imc at urbana.indymedia.org>; "Peace Listerv (E-mail)"
<peace at lists.groogroo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 12:51 PM
Subject: [Imc] Taser strategy and Champaign City Council>

> WHAT ARE THE HEALTH RISKS OF USING TASERS ON PEOPLE?

   As a (paranoid?) transplant recipient on a zillion drugs, I've thought
about this already.

> Forty people have already died as a result of being shot with
> Tasers, yet this is   supposed to be a "non lethal" weapon.

   That's 40 since 1974.  1 1/3 per year worldwide, right?  Unfortunately,
stuffed animals are probably killing more people.

> What are the dangers of sending a 50,000 watt voltage dart into a
> person with a heart condition or epilepsy?

   It's 50,000 volts.  And the same watts as a battery.  Carpet static
sparks are around 10-20,000 volts.   -cmb