[Peace] Tonight's NOW with Bill Moyers

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 12 07:54:12 CST 2004

=============================
Tonight on NOW on WILL-TV, 8pm:

* The soul of an artist.  Inside the mind and motivations of Maurice
Sendak acclaimed children's author of WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE.
* Front row seat? An infamous White House correspondent and Washington
columnist on why asking the president tough questions is central to
democracy.  David Brancaccio sits down with Helen Thomas.
* A Bill Moyers essay on retiring from NOW.

MAURICE SENDAK

Maurice Sendak has spent the past fifty years bringing an extraordinary
world of fantasy and imagination to life.  His landmark work Where the
Wild Things Are established him as a visionary figure in children's
literature and made an indelible imprint on children and adults, selling
millions of copies.  But what are the artistic motivations driving
Sendak, who says: "I never set out to write books for children"?  Bill
Moyers gives viewers a look into the private world of Maurice Sendak in
an unexpectedly candid interview that reveals the surprisingly dark
influences at play in his complex work.  Shaped by immigrant parents and
the tragedy of the Holocaust, Sendak provides frank insight into his
complicated psyche and a rare window into the soul of an acclaimed
artist.

HELEN THOMAS

When USA TODAY asked Fidel Castro "What's the difference between your
democracy and ours?" Castro replied, "I don't have to answer questions
from Helen Thomas."  David Brancaccio sits down with journalistic
pioneer Helen Thomas, who, among many distinctions, became the first
woman officer of the National Press Club, the first woman president of
the White House Correspondents Association and the first woman member of
the Gridiron Club and later its first woman president.  Currently
serving as Washington columnist for Hearst newspapers, Thomas is known
for her tough questions, a reputation that now earns her a seat in the
back row at White House press conferences.  Thomas talks to Brancaccio
about her experience covering administrations past and present, and why
asking presidents tough questions is central to our democracy.
"American people do not understand that we are the only forum in our
society that can question a president.  And if a president isn't
questioned, a president can be a king, a dictator."

NOW WITH BILL MOYERS continues online at PBS.org (www.pbs.org/now). Log
on to the site for a biography and bibliography of Maurice Sendak; for a
history of controversies in children's literature; for a quiz on a
classic children's literature quiz; for more on the children of
concentration camps and Brundibar; for a look back at the Lindbergh
kidnapping which so influenced Sendak's life; for an updated NOW
booklist; and more.