[Peace] Re: register voters to oppose Bush? (fwd)

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed May 26 16:12:23 CDT 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:05:11 -0500
From: david johnson <unionyes at ameritech.net>
To: parenti susan rose <sparenti at staff.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: register voters to oppose Bush? (fwd)

How incredible !

I was hoping that the event on July third would be a catalst for widening
the circle of " progressive " ( or whatever one wants to call us freedom
loving, humanitarian, egalitarian citizens of the world who think globally
and act locally ) people in C/U who don't know each other. One of the more
immediate goals i was thinking about was ( and have been advocating for
years ) the need to meet and register people to vote. But also, to engage
people who are not registered and convince them that there is a reason to
vote that DIRECTLY effects their lives.
In order to do this we need a good number of people to commit to this task
and also attempt to get everyone they know to help register new voters.

There has been a lot of debate on the left about the need / futility of
voting for kerry, which I also wrestle with at times.
But what if, a large number of new voters entered into the electorate (
under the radar of the pollsters, etc., ) and created upset elections in
favor of good candidates or at least better candidates than the christian
coalition / corporate asshole ones,  AND stayed active to one degree or
another AFTER the elction to put preasure on the oppurtunist politicians (
like Kerry ) and enbolden some decent candidates that might at times get a
little too timid.

This idea you have is excellent ( and what a coincidence ). COUNT ME IN !

David Johnson

P.S. I also want to meet those people on north Lincoln ( who's signs are in
the yard.. " regime change begins at home " )